Superformance chassis number

I'm amazed that there is not a cold typing of the chassis number on the Superformance,
is this plate?
someone to confirm
thank you

Attachments

• 1966-superformance-gt40-009.jpg
    1966-superformance-gt40-009.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 534

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
I'm amazed that there is not a cold typing of the chassis number on the Superformance,
is this plate?
someone to confirm
thank you

That looks like the California SB100 "approval" plate...it is a way to register an "assembled (replica) car" like GT40s. It can be important because as I understand it once a car has SB100 registration in California it is exempt from smog testing and can be run on the roads like any other car.

It is not the chassis number (at least, I don't think so...but I don't live in CA so I have no idea if it is or not...might be!) SB100 approvals might well have been numbered in series, though, so hopefully others will chime in and help clear up my confusion.

Cheers, and good luck!

Doug

I know the SB100 which is that for California, my question is if the chassis number is directly plastered in the metal and not just on the plate that can be changed or removed easily

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
The plate is riveted to the chassis. There are also numbers (build number, NOT chassis number) bonded into the removable fiberglass panels. The build number is also marked or etched into some of the steel panels. I am not aware of a chassis number stamped directly into a GT40 tub. It could be done at the factory on request.

I found the number of construction in several places, flying, sieges, on the chassis it is written with an indelible marker black or white, but no stamping directly in the metal,

Back