Barrett Jackson GT40

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Hammered for $153,400 with fees. Have no idea how well it was put together but with the engine and huge Ricardo hanging off the back, it has to be tail heavy as all get out. They had to do some mods to the rear subframe at a minimum to get that to fit in there. Seems an odd thing to do to an SPF car.

1966 SUPERFORMANCE GT40 MARK I - 213398

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Wide body. Don't know what tires, can't zoom enough on the pictures to read the sidewalls. Ride height is set very low, looks great, but a bit dodgy on the street. Don't even THINK of going over a speed bump!

The Ricardo 6 speed is overkill with the two overdrives. You won't use 5th or 6th until you are over 120+.

Early chassis and only 400 miles. Low miles usually indicates that it doesn't work/drive well. There are some owners who really don't drive their cars but I fail to see the point of not driving a car. I have another SPF 40 on line with 7000 miles on it and I hope to put another 3000 on this summer!

Last edited:

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
...Ride height is set very low, looks great, but a bit dodgy on the street. Don't even THINK of going over a speed bump!

...don't even THINK of driving it in a place like downtown Santa Barbara either! The first rainwater runoff 'trough' in the pavement encountered at any given intersection would 'high center' the car's nose in a heartbeat. I don't believe there's any 'approach angle' one could take that would prevent that from happening. As I recall, those darned things are, for all intents and purposes, nothing less than paved ditches.

End of rant...

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
Auctions are a risky place to sell a GT40. Even more so at no reserve. I agree with Rick about driving these cars. My car now has 14,500 miles and it's running better than ever.

I for one would never buy a GT40 with a mod motor or non 60s based Ford V8. When I saw this car come up it got my attention and wanted to see how it would do until I saw the motor and knew it would fall on it's face. Nothing wrong with building it the way you want but if you expect to sell it down the road, you might want to consider major modifications like this.

Steve

Supporter
153k is an impressive price for a not-so-well-done car that may need a bit of work. Mike, quick, raise your price:)

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
I would guess there were only a few at the Barrett Jackson circus I would feel comfortable selling to. I would fear being called a week later and being yelled at... what do you mean I have to adjust valves once a year? Why doesn't this car have cup holders and a stereo?

I would very much prefer my car to go to someone who knew as much or more about the GT40 than I do. These are historical pieces of art that we each are just stewards over for a period of time. Not commodities to be paraded across an auction block for drunk people to throw money at like cheap strippers.

I would guess there were only a few at the Barrett Jackson circus I would feel comfortable selling to. I would fear being called a week later and being yelled at... what do you mean I have to adjust valves once a year? Why doesn't this car have cup holders and a stereo?

I would very much prefer my car to go to someone who knew as much or more about the GT40 than I do. These are historical pieces of art that we each are just stewards over for a period of time. Not commodities to be paraded across an auction block for drunk people to throw money at like cheap strippers.

Well said Mike and I totally agree with you! I've always taken pride in all my cars over the years and preferred to sell to others that were in the sport/hobby vs someone looking to flip the cars. My last cobra is in France with a guy that is deeply involved in the France Cobra Club and I love watching their cruise/track events (which are numerous) on Youtube/Facebook, seeing my old car being used as intended.

Back