SPFs in So Cal

john bach

GT40s Supporter
i would like to know how many SPF GT40s, or any other GT40s, there are in Southern California. I live in Oxnard, Ventura County and would like to meet other '40 owners. i have seen a MK3 (owned by the Petersen Museum) at Willow Springs a number of years ago, a gennie MK1 at Willow owned by a Japanese strawberry farmer from Oxnard, and a couple other '40s of various makes. A 2005/6 (also owned by Petersen) and a MK1 at the Reagan Library a couple of years ago with my MK2. but that's it. So if you are out there and would like to meet let me know.

John,
I have a Mk1 and live in Canyon Lake. I know of another SPF in the area and we get together once or twice a year. I also do 2-3 track events a year and you are more than welcome to join us. Just not sure about you pulling your car with a strap though Did you ever locate a trailer?
Mike

mine was 5 miles from Laguna Seca, but now she is in the south of France

Attachments

• laguna seca 3.jpg
    laguna seca 3.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 543

john bach

GT40s Supporter
so many people have commented on my towing my Mk2. so as i have explained before . i towed it once to my mechanic. 13 miles. i dont intend to tow it unless i break it at Willow Springs. Butfoy and Olthoff have both said it's ok. got a sturdy tow bar, sturdy chain and lights. i have towed cars since 1949 when i had to tow my '29 Model A Ford. In '53 i towed my "32 Ford roadster from North Island NAS to Redondo Beach Ca. At night and no freeways. and have towed many cars since. never an incident. i scoff at people who trailer cars to an event. like brand new Mustangs to the Fabulous Fords Forever at Knotts. so if you and your friend are willing to get together somewhere i will bring my number 1 son and meet you.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
You towed a Model A in 1949? You're still climbing in and out of a GT40? No scoffing here that's impressive!

john bach

GT40s Supporter
Well, it takes me a minute to climb out and many people have observed that and commented and i reply "the rest of the the ride makes up for it." I'm 85 going on 86 in March. The only place i dont drive the '40 is to the grocery store. Signed up for the Edelbrock car show for Sat. May5 in Torrance Ca. Still have'nt decided to take the '40 or my "32 Ford rdstr. Got to open the '40 up this AM on a back road between Oxnard and Camarillo. No other traffic in sight both ways and hit 95. GPS speedo. Smooth straight road and lots of adrenaline. Fastest i ever drove was about 1971. was working at Holman Moody in Carlotte, NC. had been to Hutcherson Pagan shop lettering a race car. Going home South on I-77 blending onto I-85 at 100 into the fast lane up to over 120 in my '59 Ford 2 dr Ranch Wagon with a HM Tommy Turner built "67 Ford 427 side oiler. Speedo #s go to 120 and the needle was out of sight. flicking my lights and everybody got out of my way. Started slowing down for my turnoff in Mt Holly and a white Corvette who had been following me closley shot by. Wonder what he was thinking?

john bach

GT40s Supporter
353 on original speedo, 5730 on GPS speedo. on my previous post, i believe that white Corvette was drafting on me. to that gent who lives in Canyon Lake . how 'bout coming to the Edlbrock Car show in Torrance May 5 and bring your buddy along. that will make 3 of us. i know there will be a crowd around us. i took the '40 to the Bakersfield March meet a couple years ago and i had a crowd around all day 'oohing and 'ahaaing. great fun. i let a pretty young lady sit in it, put the steering wheel on and let her start it ,rev, it, and i believe she wet her panties. like i said great fun.

Hi John & Mike,

There are two of us here in Las Vegas with SPF GT40's and Daytona Coupe's.
Might be fun to attend the Edelbrock show with one or the other car's. or like our Daytona coupe reunion 2years ago, have one with with '40s & Coupes somewhere in our area...@ Superformance, Petersen or ?

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
If an GT40/Daytona/whatever meet could be organized in Vegas I would be interested in helping and attending. There are some nice driving roads around there for day trips and plenty of entertainment in the evenings.

Good idea Mike. I attended some of the Ford GT national meet in Las Vegas a couple of years ago and it was really fun, parties, car show @ Shelby, day touring & Track days.. was thinking GT40's and Daytonas doing a like meet would be an interesting event...we have great scenic tour loops, tracks, car enthusiast attractions and of course hotels and entertainment.
If we could get an idea of how many might be interested in participating
We could at least start the planing stage based on those numbers and see from there!

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
I would be very interested. As a local you would have to help plan what the best time of year to be there when we would not be roasted. I know a lot of money and work goes into the FGT meet so not sure we would be able to start as elaborate. Simply getting together for a 2-3 days would be great. Maybe work with a hotel to arrange accommodations and protected parking for cars and trailers. Planning a couple of day trips out for lunch and back for evening entertainment would be a lot of fun. The FGT forum is a tight knit group so not sure we have enough of that here to make this a reality but it would be fun to gauge interest.

john bach

GT40s Supporter
i am interested in attending depending on my health. dont do well in heat. at all. early or late, but not in the middle. and, i hope you all remember Vegas has flash floods. i'm thinking the Petersen museum in L.A. 3 levels of parking. and the museum owns a Mk3 and a 2005/2006. or the upcoming Edelbrock car show May 5. or at one of these 2 places later in the year. and to be honest Vegas holds no attraction for me. just say'in.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
If the event was in the middle of the country, would you make the journey John?

john bach

GT40s Supporter
probably not. no way i could drive that far by myself and i rely heavily on my son to share drives with me and he cant get that much time off from work and it's even doubtful for Vegas. anyway i'm still gonna be at Edelbrock's on May 5. and Petersen's next time car show.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
I think many share the same sentiments and would not be able to drive long distance to a national meet. Whether its time or money or both its probably something that would preclude there ever being an event similar to the FGT yearly meet. Very disappointing to me at least.

Back