'40 Bra

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
Walt, I recommend having 3M paint protection film installed. It covers the entire front of my car, up to the nostril openings. 14,000 miles and not one visible chip. And you can't even tell the film is there unless you are looking for it.

is there a company that has a template pattern available ? I will want one in the UK and I wondered if there is a common template that's available to certain product vendors ?

It a lot more expensive to have it all done by hand as a one off

john bach

GT40s Supporter
hey Walter Williams. i have seen where a bra wears on the paint but ...are you ready? wait for it... i planned on "PADDING THE BRA", with pads of felt.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
John,

Regardless of the higher cost, you might give a bit more thought to the 'film' option. 'Mucho less hassle use-wise. Rainwater can't deposit dust/dirt/road grime/other contaminates under it (so no 'sandpaper' effect pad-or-no-pad!), uneven paint color fade over time from sunlight is far less (if any at all), and there'll be no wind-caused 'paint thinning' at the usual contact places on the car's body caused by the bra 'flapping in the breeze' at speed (again; pad-or-no-pad).

IMHO, just from the standpoint of looks alone, the film option wins hands down. ;)

JMHO OMV

A bra will almost certainly rub on the paint in spots. Ask me how I know. I had them on two different cars and the result was the same. A clear skin is your best bet. They have them on many new cars now, especially the high end ones like Maserati.

You can even buy the stuff of ebay and do it yourself:

Paint Protection Film 3M Scotchcal 48"X60" Cheap Clear | eBay

Obviously there are different grades of the stuff, but you'll get the idea.

Bras on cars were a short-lived fad that thankfully died out. Besides looking completely stupid, they did exactly the opposite of their intended benefit—they destroyed the paint underneath. They also cost money.

So if you were successful in your stated endeavor, you would wind up spending money to make your car look stupid and wreck the paint?

Either do nothing, or use clear film as others have suggested.....

is there a company that has a template pattern available ? I will want one in the UK and I wondered if there is a common template that's available to certain product vendors ?

It a lot more expensive to have it all done by hand as a one off

Jason, I'd be very interested if you do find anyone with a PPF template in the UK - I visited two PPF installers in Chester and Shrewsbury yesterday but came up blank - one suggested that one of manufacturers might be prepared to to do a custom pattern but I haven't heard back yet. I'm after a pattern for my MKII but there would clearly be similarities to a MkI, especially at the front.

Did you find anyone who would do a custom pattern, even at great expense?

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
I agree. The shop I used had never seen a GT40 before, but they knew how to install the product and did an excellent job.

Back