door latches

john bach

GT40s Supporter
having a hard time adjusting door latches on my SPF 2116. spent many hours and my mechanic spent some too. thought i had it solved and then Fri. my son and i drove to Neptunes Net in Malibu for Pattie Melts and on way home drivers door kept opening at speed and a couple of scary times in a right hand turn, would appreciate any tips and any info on "Replacement" latches. all fasteners are tight. gets tiresome driving with one hand holding door closed.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
John,

The latches are an off the shelf item but are not interchangeable with any other type we know of without much work. We have never had any issues with any GT latches of the sort you are describing. Are they latching on the second "click" or just the first?

I've had a similar issue, but haven't spent much time looking into it. When I close the door, sometimes it doesn't latch completely. I can push it from inside and make sure it's closed. When I push on it and discover it isn't closed, I can pull the unlatch cable and hear the latch "click" - then close it again.

I've had it open in a right-hand turn a couple of times and then developed this process, for now.

john bach

GT40s Supporter
John,

The latches are an off the shelf item but are not interchangeable with any other type we know of without much work. We have never had any issues with any GT latches of the sort you are describing. Are they latching on the second "click" or just the first?
sitting inside car door is latching but door has about 1/4 inch play. tried many times to eliminate play by 1/32 or 1/64th at a time but cannot. just a very fine line to be found. not gonna quit. i'll find the place. son Eric said when we left "Neptunes Net" and i wound out in 2nd and 3rd gear going home (no burning rubber) "clutch". ok. dont know who built car. previous owner said he bought car on consignment and did not know who built car. i am guessing it has dual disc clutch. maybe? SPF2116 Mk2.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Maybe a dual disc or possibly a button type clutch or ceramic that is not street friendly? I will see if we can I.D. the original seller and track down the installer for specs.

John,

If you have 1/4 inch of play it sounds like you are only engaging the secondary catch, not the primary one?

Could it be that you need to adjust in the opposite direction to enable the main one to engage? Counterintuitive, I know.

Just a wild guess?

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
John,

If you have 1/4 inch of play it sounds like you are only engaging the secondary catch, not the primary one?

Could it be that you need to adjust in the opposite direction to enable the main one to engage? Counterintuitive, I know.

Just a wild guess?

What I was alluding to but you stated it better than I did!

Back