john bach

GT40s Supporter
i'm pretty sure my SPF P2116 needs a new clutch. talked to previous owner and nothing from him. so, i'm asking , is there a standard clutch used in '40s? is there a smaller diameter flywheel used, therefore a smaller dia. clutch for ground clearance? i know how things work on a '32 Ford roadster or a '73 Merc Montego GT, but a GT40, not so much. i have read someplace it has a dual disc clutch. so, any help here would be appreciated and any tips, too. and time involved to replace. i'm getting to old to do this myself and arthritic, and will have to hire a mechanic , so is there any kind of standard time to do this? thanks for listening.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
The majority of SPF installers use the QuickTime bellhousing which takes a standard 10.5" clutch (although the splines are GM pattern) so a good McLeod is fine. A few use the smaller diameter original style bell with a smaller flywheel and dual-plate clutch setup. Quick tell- if the bell is steel likely the Quicktime, if alloy likely the dual plate setup. The Quicktimes also have a label on them.

No 'standard" labor time for this. As the transaxle must be R&R'ed, the halfshafts undone and the upper horseshoe removed I would suspect 10 hours or so minimum.

No 'standard" labor time for this. As the transaxle must be R&R'ed, the halfshafts undone and the upper horseshoe removed I would suspect 10 hours or so minimum.

Wow. That seems ridiculous to me. FWIW I once helped change a clutch and flywheel on a Pantera in the parking lot of a hotel. Using ropes, discovered scrap wood and simple hand tools we got the whole job done in under four hours and that includes considerable beer-drinking time. I’ve done the same job under more controlled conditions in well under three hours. The Pantera uses the same gearbox, same type of driveshafts and has a similar ‘horseshoe’

On the other hand I have spent almost an hour trying to get the damn input shaft to line up properly with the splines on the clutch disc. Sometimes it’s murder, other times it practically falls together.

Ten hours to do the same job in a GT40 where there is infinitely better access? Well, I admit removing the mufflers might add a few minutes, but still.....

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Ten hours to do the same job in a GT40 where there is infinitely better access? Well, I admit removing the mufflers might add a few minutes, but still.....

Mike,

He asked about PAYING a shop to do the job, not a shadetree buddy operation. Will it take ten hours? Doubt it. Will they bill ten hours? Bet on it.

Operation list:
*R&R rear clam
*R&R mufflers
*R&R slave cylinder if external, if internal disconnect feed line and re-bleed after
*R&R Upper "horseshoe" crossmember and sway bar
*Support rear of engine
*R&R shift cables/shift rod
*R&R halfshafts
*R&R transaxle and bellhousing
*R&R Clutch disc/pressure plate using alignment tool
Clean/inspect all components as progressing
*adjust/bleed clutch cylinder
Search for dropped bolts, bandage scraped knuckles, curse, drink beer (six-tenths at least)

Last edited:

john bach

GT40s Supporter
back in the day i would not have asked for help. today is different story. i would have bought Metric wrenches and sockets enough to do the job. i have a few but need more. today is a different day. i have changed engines. Flatheads to Ford 332 to 427 side oilers, clutches from '48 Fords to Pintos, so i kinda know how to do what is required. but, i am 86 now and dont move as i did back in the day,. getting down on my knees is tough enough but getting up is even harder. really requires an effort. and to tell the honest truth. i fall. a lot. 3 times in last month. about 15 to 20 in the past 10 years. nothing but cuts, stiches and scars so far, but if i keep that up someday i might hurt myself. so, i'll hire a mechanic. i see all the thing i have to remove and get out of the way. and i could do all that. and i know i should resurface the fly wheel and maybe even replace the hydraulic clutch cyl. stuff. maybe. there is mechanic in Camarillo and i have been to his shop a few times and seen some pretty fine machinery he has worked on so i'm gonna drive over there tomorrow and see if he is interested.

John, what is the problem with the clutch, is it slipping?, thought occurred to me that you might have a problem that is external like not enough freeboard etc. If thats the case it can be adjusted if its got an external clutch linkage/slave cyl whereas if its got an internal throwout bearing assy the trans will need to be removed to adjust or reduce shim stack height.

john bach

GT40s Supporter
i'm pretty sure clutch is slipping. on previous drives i noticed some slippage. as to my last post, i forgot t mention about changing a clutch. while working at Holman Moody in '72 i worked on the Pantera program. i worked in engine bay of 225 Panteras (all alone) removing axle shafts, suspension pieces, engine, and transmission. cleaning out the engine bay and so weldment pieces could be welded to frame. after completing this phase i was assigned to road testing the finished Panteras. about 50 cars. winding them out on those 2 lane twisty roads in the area. great fun, hanging the back end out, driving just as fast as i dared. so i do know about dis-assembling an exotic car to get to the clutch. and Panteras are much simpler than a GT40.

Back