RF to match GT40NZ prices

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
After a detailed analysis of the different kits offered and with the real difficulty that our customers have of comparing like to like (or like to unlike)and with long talks over the phone with Gordon Levy, I have decided to match the prices of our NZ rivals and offer the same kits at the same prices or even better prices. This reduces the difficulty for potential buyers, as the only thing left to compare is product back-up (workshop manuals , technical support etc.) and product quality. This I will leave to others.

I actually believe that I can beat the NZ prices but this is dependant on exchange rates.

The parts that will be included in the kit we offer to match the NZ "basic unfinished car" will be all of our standard RF parts (no substitution of inferior parts) and will include our 13" front and 12" rear rotors. All of our additional parts will fit straight on to this chassis and further, I will include the dropped floor at no additional charge and also left hand drive at no additional cost (we have NEVER charged for these options anyway). The kit will also include a rear GLASS screen (not plastic) and will include all glass screen fitting kits. I believe that the only difference with the kits will be some GRP panels that GT40NZ offer in the rear bulkhead and center tunnel areas. These we cover in aluminium and I will not be making GRP panels.

I feel that our potential purchasers need a level playing field and if others offer different kits in different combinations please fax or e-mail the prices and parts included and I am sure I will be able to match prices.

Please remember that this forum was started to help owners and keep manufacturers customer focused. This I will always be and I invite all manufacturers to do the same, to have your own customer support area on this forum,and to stand behind your product.

Best wishes,

Robert Logan

Dave,
I think if you go to their webb sites you will have your answer. It would be difficult to list all of that info here. They provide a striaght forward pricing system on their respective sites. You will have to do your own comparison. It may be that you see something that you like better in one kit than the other. My values to price may not be the same as yours. I chose the RF because I got what I wanted for what I thought was good value per dollar.
I bought a deluxe kit which contains every nut bolt and screw to build this car less engine and trans. The kit even came with motor mounts, trans mounts. all pulleys and belts, shift linkage,tires, wheels and engine loom. I paid $42,000 plus $3,800 in air frieght for my kit. Because I didn't have to run all over for parts I built it in less than eight months.
If you check my profile you can go to my web site where there are several pictures of my car during the build.

Hersh
smile.gif

Hello everyone that posts on this forum!

As you notice this is my first post. I currently own a cobra replica. I am also in the process of researching a gt40 kit for a street driven car.

I would also like to add to Tom's question. (hope you dont mind)

In addition to wondering what the turnkey minus price will now be.

How will Gordon's deluxe kits price be affected?

Thanks,
Larry

[ March 19, 2003: Message edited by: Larry ]

Pete, I look forward to seeing you. My shop is about 4 minutes from Phoenix International Airport.
Tom, The turnkey prices are the same.
Larry, The Deluxe kit, turnkey minus and turnkey prices will remain the same.
The kit offered by NZ is not a complete kit. There are a lot of parts that are needed to finish out the car. This level of kit will fall between our rolling chassis kit and our deluxe kit. We are matching part for part what comes is the NZ kit for the price they are charging. All the parts included will be of the very high quality that RF is known for and reason I became involved with Robert and his company. I do believe, for the dollar spent, there is no higher quality kit available.
If you take a look at what their kit comes with and them add up the actual cost of the parts you have to source yourself to comlete it, you will find that the price will be the same as a deluxe kit from RF.

[ March 19, 2003: Message edited by: Gordon Levy ]

I hope to finish my Cobra replica in about 2 months. That will give me the time needed to save $$$ for the RF kit early next year.

Great timing Robert!!

Gordon, I will be contacting you early next year, with some $$$ in my hands. I hope I can come to AZ and you can take me for a spin in your GT40

Regards
Bill D

Bill, you are welcome anytime. By the way, if you give me a call I have the part number for that piece for the 460 you were looking for.
Do you want a spin with the street engine or the other one.
grin.gif

[ March 19, 2003: Message edited by: Gordon Levy ]

G

Everyone, as a follow-up to my question to Gordon Levy, and his response to me, I just wanted to be sure nobody thinks I'm complaining about his basic turnkey price...just a little wishful thinking (hoping) on my part. Bottom line for me is that if I ever come up with the scratch to do a car, it'll be one of Gordon's builds. A very good car, built by one of the best. Smart, honest, drives like a bat out of hell.

TT

Robert Logan

The kit that I am offering above is the same as the kit offered by GT40NZ. That is it contains the same parts as that offered by GT40NZ, powdercoated chassis , floor fitted , full suspension with rotors but NO callipers and NO shockers, steering complete with NO steering wheel. It is as close to an exact copy of what they offer except the fibre glass panels inthe firewall and center tunel areas that I have iscussed above. The whole purpose of this exercise was to compare like to like and this can only be done if one company changes what they offer, I did this change.

Our prices for that kit had to change very little , it was basically down to content and our prices for our remaining kits and prices are remaining the same.

The major point to understand is that our prices on our web site are in US$ and are inclusive of shipping and taxes paid in the US. These parts are effectively in the US (does not include the delux kit - as stated). Our prices are for new components that FIT and include all brackets and bolts, nuts and washers. The parts have been fitted by us on to cars and are being fitted by us on to existing cars. There even is a workshop manual to show you how to fit the parts for yourself and if that is not enough we will send additional information and digital photographs as required to help. We offer a COMPLETE service. The reason for this is is complete LACK of this service from another manufacturer when I was a customer and building my first car.

I firmly believe that my company offer the best spaceframe GT40 replica in the world
and we continue to develop the car to the highest degree. Hershal alluded to some special car that we have just completed. The car was a testbed for some new offerings and all of the options are able to be retro fitted to all existing and new cars. The options included :
ABS
Kevlar body
Limited Slip Diff
Air conditioning
Traction Control
Launch Control
Remote Entry
CD player
Electric Mirrors
Koni shockers
AP Racing brakes (6 pot front / 4 pot rear)
Polished pin drive wheels
Cruise Control
Full Imobiliser and alarm

This was done to give options to our customers and to allow you to have what you want. There is a huge expence in the R&D required to get all these things working and this has been done. We are currently working on a six speed conversion for our car and will have both central and right hand changes available for her soon. Lastly we are also working on a full race car with ALL the bells and whistles and will soon be able to offer race cars for sale.

Please remember to compare like to like, ask your chosen manufacturer to offer similar products and EXPECT the manufacturer to do all the work in R&D to make sure the parts fit and work correctly.

Best wishes to all,

Robert

I'm sorry. The pricing confuses me. Which of the RF kits are going to be offered for what price again?

I got confused about this once before, too.

Your pal,
Meat.

Robert Logan

Meat (Sean),

What I have offered is to match the GT40NZ kit price of NZ$ 30,000 for their 'unfinished kit'. It is the ONLY kit they offer except completed cars which are not priced. Our kit will match theirs part for part except for the GRP panels already stated above but will include larger brake rotors and full glass again as stated above. Our kit will include a full workshop manual and the rest of the proffesional support that my company offers (including this forum)and all the parts used in the kits will be EXACTLY the same as offered on other kits from Roaring Forties.

I hope this explains this better for you , if not please contact me directly of on this forum, which ever you choose.

Best wishes,

Robert

If I understand (and it won't be the first time that I don't)...

RF's position is that they are matching the basic package of GT40NZ, however the cost of the additional RF40 components necessary to complete the car will be more cost than those typically used to complete a GT40 NZ because of RF's higher level content...
for example their nice leather interior and wonderful Halibrand wheels.

Robert...is that a fair assessment?

MikeD
interior

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Roaring Forties:
Meat (Sean),

What I have offered is to match the GT40NZ kit price of NZ$ 30,000 for their 'unfinished kit'. It is the ONLY kit they offer except completed cars which are not priced. Our kit will match theirs part for part except for the GRP panels already stated above but will include larger brake rotors and full glass again as stated above. Our kit will include a full workshop manual and the rest of the proffesional support that my company offers (including this forum)and all the parts used in the kits will be EXACTLY the same as offered on other kits from Roaring Forties.

I hope this explains this better for you , if not please contact me directly of on this forum, which ever you choose.

Best wishes,

Robert
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Okay. Makes sense.

But then I've got to ask why? Why match the pricing? I'm not the brightest light in the night sky, but I thought that the RF and the NZ car were going after two different markets?

You want buyers to compare prices on two cars, but you infer that the NZ car uses 'inferior' pieces, like plastic screen and GRP panels from your post. I don't see how or why - if the two products are so dissimilar - you'd want to match pricing? What am I missing? What else - besides the kit is it going to take to complete the new RF kit? What's the price of those pieces going to be?

I'm not trying to start an argument here, I'm just not getting whatever it is, or the reasoning behind the sudden RF price drop. Can you help me out here, clarify ..?

Thanks.

Your pal,
Meat.

Sean, It's not a drop in price. It's a 4th level of kit offered. After some research, we found that we can offer the same component package as the NZ for the same price using the high quality RF parts.
Mike, If you look at the real world costs of the parts to complete the NZ kit and compare it to the parts that are offered by RF to complete one of there cars. The costs are virtually the same. The biggest difference is the quality of the components that RF uses, a comprehensive assembly manual, and technical support.

Robert Logan

Sean,

As Gordon has just said, it is NOT a price DROP it is a matching part for part at the same price or better (dependant on exchange rates). I have not said that GT40NZ use inferior parts , they do what they do in a different way to Roaring Forties. It is up to the customers to assess the plusses and minuses of all manufacturers and to go the way they are happiest with. What I have tried to do with this level of kit is to allow our customers to be able to compare like to like.

If a customer purchases a GT40NZ car and then builds the car as recommended with various parts such as Honda Air conditioning parts and other sourced parts at the cost that GT40NZ say than that is good. The Roaring Forties car can also be built this way with parts from various sources and at the same price (assuming that the prices quoted by GT40NZ are reasonable which I have major reservations with). If however these second hand parts are found to be not suitable or vastly different in price to those quoted than the Roaring Forties builder at least has the option, the choise to follow the Roaring Forties way and use the guarnteed parts from Roaring Forties or to stick it out and make the Honda air conditioning parts fit.

All I am trying to do is to allow potential purchasers to make a more valued judgement prior to purchase, again I say to be able to compare like to like as regards to parts supplied.

Sean, I hope this helps further and I look forward to meeting you at Knotts.

Best wishes,

Robert

Now here is a deal !!! Robert this is a fantastic offering from you and Gordon. I can't imagine someone not taking this deal with all of the uniqueness about your cars.
Guys if you do your home work and do a side by side comparison you can't go wrong.
The first thing you will see is that all the componantry is top shelf, all name brand. The electical system for this car is best described as plug and play. It fits without any cutting or fitting wires. No other kit but maybe ERA offers this. This wiring loom alone will save 40 hours of build time over anyone elses. The manual is on a CD and the pictures are such high quality that you can zoom in on a screw and get good clarity. As far as Race proven, I will go with what Mr. Bondurant said when he drove my car again a couple weeks ago. I asked him if it was better this time around and his reply was that it's great, don't touch a thing. Now keep in mind that my car is a street car and not the race track version that RF offers. I have probably given 30 0r 40 rides to people and some on this forum. I always get the same response..."BOY! it sure is smoother than I thought and it's quieter than I thought too." This happens on just about every ride I give. If you think this is a commercial for RF then you would be correct. I recieve no compensation for my testimonial. I just feel that when a product is more than what you expect then you should tell others that may be interested. You have to remember that Robert Logan was like us before he built the RF. He is a 100% died in the wool GT40 crazy. He saw a chance to build a better mouse trap and that he did! He is so proud and confident that he got it right. In my heart I know this car is one of the best because of where Robert Logan as been and what he has learned from others mistakes. I'm confident that his company will be around for a long time.
Also another thing is that Robert and Gordon build turn key minus and turn keys.
I think the pricees will surpize you in a good way. RF has one of the most extensive option list available. These guys will litarally build it however you want it. I think Robert has even built one with ABS, tracktion control and other hi-tec options.
One more thing, all of Roberts employees (team) are highly qualified people. They know this car as well as Robert. If you call with a question you will get an answer. There is none of that.." Hold on, I'll see if someone is here that can help."
OK, I'm done.
grin.gif

RF GT40 owner and still excited about it.
grin.gif
grin.gif

Hersh
smile.gif

David

Lifetime Supporter
Bob/Gordon or maybe Hershal,

Sounds excellent, but what does it mean in $$$?

Dave Lowell

Pete K.

GT40s Supporter
Man, oh man ... just keep on tempting me. Hey, I'm headed to Phoenix in May, Gordon, you are in Tempe, right?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Roaring Forties:
Sean,

As Gordon has just said, it is NOT a price DROP it is a matching part for part at the same price or better (dependant on exchange rates). I have not said that GT40NZ use inferior parts , they do what they do in a different way to Roaring Forties. It is up to the customers to assess the plusses and minuses of all manufacturers and to go the way they are happiest with. What I have tried to do with this level of kit is to allow our customers to be able to compare like to like.

If a customer purchases a GT40NZ car and then builds the car as recommended with various parts such as Honda Air conditioning parts and other sourced parts at the cost that GT40NZ say than that is good. The Roaring Forties car can also be built this way with parts from various sources and at the same price (assuming that the prices quoted by GT40NZ are reasonable which I have major reservations with). If however these second hand parts are found to be not suitable or vastly different in price to those quoted than the Roaring Forties builder at least has the option, the choise to follow the Roaring Forties way and use the guarnteed parts from Roaring Forties or to stick it out and make the Honda air conditioning parts fit.

All I am trying to do is to allow potential purchasers to make a more valued judgement prior to purchase, again I say to be able to compare like to like as regards to parts supplied.

Sean, I hope this helps further and I look forward to meeting you at Knotts.

Best wishes,

Robert
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Okay. I guess. I still don't understand the change in pricing structure or whatever it is, but I will adapt a 'wait and see' attitude until I figure it all out.

But ... and don't take this the wrong way ... will point out that - although you say 'they do what they do in a different way' about the NZ company - you're constantly demeaning the other kits. Your kit may indeed be the best kit out there. However, Steve Newmark from Lone Star thought the same thing about his Cobra over FFR's Cobra. He took out all kinds of negative advertisements, and even hauled an FFR carcass around to the various kit car shows to show how much better his kit was than the 'competition.' In my opinion, it's best to just let the product speak for itself. If it's best, it will rise to the top. If it's not, it will seek it's own level. No amount of bad-mouthing (even if it's unintentional) is going to make your product better than the other.

Now, I'm not saying that you're doing it intentionally, but I've noticed alot of your posts say negative things about the NZ kit in particular. Once again, not trying to start an argument, I'm just sayin...

I'll see you at Knotts.

Your pal,
Meat.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by meat:

Now, I'm not saying that you're doing it intentionally, but I've noticed alot of your posts say negative things about the NZ kit in particular. Once again, not trying to start an argument, I'm just sayin...

I'll see you at Knotts.

Your pal,
Meat.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

null

Sean,
Where did you read into these posts that they were being negative towards NZ GT40 ?
I see no such inferance. These cars are different and that's all I read as to what Gordon and Robert are saying. Compitition is a good thing and I'm sure that Mr. Harvey will agree. He is a business man and quite capable of handling the competition.
Both of these fine companies have web sites that are done quite well. All any consumer has to do is visit these sites and make a personal comparison of what they like in a GT be it price, construction or materials then make a choice . SIMPLE, you can do that for yourself and then you may not be so confused about something that's pretty obvious.
You have started down a dangerous path and it serves no purpose as I see it. You know as well as I do that Robert and Gordon have the upmost respect for their compitition. They have no reason to degrade another companies product. They are simply doing what is being done in business everyday....advertising by comparison.
Do you like whoppers or Big & Tasty, they are both hamburgers and cost the same. Personal taste dictates which you prefer. So go to the site and make your comparisons and buy the one you prefer. Maybe someday the M-40 will have to face similar comparisons in compitition.
rolleyes.gif
grin.gif

Hersh
smile.gif

Back