GT40 kit for $17,500 in the USA

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Well after careful thought Race-car-replicas is able to bring a Mk1 GT40 replica to you for $17,500.
Car is available RHD or LHD with Ford or Chevrolet engine mounts and will accomodate Audi or Porsche G50 transaxle

This package makes use of Corvette C4 donor front suspension.
The chassis is TIG welded tube frame with an integral roll hoop and rear support and a billet aluminum rear chassis brace.
A 6061 aluminum floorpan is also provided predrilled
The body is a very original looking Mk1.
A DOT glass windshield with headlight covers and side windows are also provided.
A pair of aluminum 11 gallon fuel tanks is also included.

Available extra are Billet rear uprights complete with all rear control arms.

As stated on the RCR website www.race-car-replicas.com
the aim is to provide a replica that can be built with a little sweat equity into a great car for a lot less money than is currently available in the USA.

A list of suppliers for wiring ,cooling,brakes, gas caps etc etc will also be provided.

Check out a very similar chassis(minus front rollcage support) layout under the T-70 chassis section of out website,the rear suspension layout is slightly different to accomodate the guy that "needs" the look of the GT40 .
A roller complete with all rear suspension components steering rack and column will be available for $19,500

I hope this car will appeal to guys wanting to get into a quality GT40 for less.
First bodies out of the mould at Christmas and cars will be available for spring delivery.....
Contact me at gt40fran "at" wideopenwest.com
Regards

Fran-

It was a pleasure talking with you today. I could have talked about your GT40 much longer but I know you had other obligations.

I am very interested in your car and believe your car meets a market niche currently overlooked.

Just some additional questions that I wans't able to ask today:

Is the dash removable from the car so it can be covered with material or painted?

Are the holes pre-drilled in the dash or is that done by the buyer?

Are the doors double skinned to allow for installing upholstery or some form of covering?

Is the spider section doubled similar to Tornado's or RF's?

Can the buyer install A/C and heat from any of the aftermarket suppliers (i.e. Vintage Air)?

Thanks so much Fran.

Regards
Bill D

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Bill.
Yes the dash is removable.

No predrilled holes but gauge locations are clearly visible.

Yes doors have an inner skin.

and finally Yes the roof is double skinned.

I enjoyed talking with you and thank you for your input from the market sector I am aiming at.

See you soon

Sounds like a good value. Bill, you only have a few months in which to save up $7,500. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Fran, is Bill Hough doing the bodies for you? Is he also doing the T70 bodies for you?

Mark-

Fran told me that good ol' Bill Hough did indeed do the body. He also did the Daytona body for FFR.

The kit from Fran sounds excellent. And I already have the first $10K, but need to wait until after the new year to move forward. I need to sell the Cobra to get the balance, which shouldn't be too difficult. I'm still in the processs of sourcing many of the parts, but it doesn't seem impossible. The only item I see a problem with are the seats.

Again, thanks Fran. I will be calling after the New Year.

Bill D

Dear Fran,
Your car looks great. Is the picture on your web site one that you have built, because it looks exactly like a CAV. Or maybe you pulled the molds from one. If it is you made a good choice to copy. The CAVs are beautiful reproductions. How about posting more pictures of your car. Joseph /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Joseph.
The car pictured on the website is indeed a CAV that I have been helping the owner with.
You are right they are beautiful cars and well represented here on the Forum but financially out of some buyers reach.
I sold two CAV cars for the local dealer here in Mi.DAVE WAGNER and I felt compelled to take care of the buyers after the fact,though I did not receive a penny for any of my services,my choice
As I say in my intro the first body will be out of the moulds very soon and as soon as it is ready for public scrutiny it will be shown here.
My sitedoes actually says "available soon"
My body is not a GTD,CAV or a KVA.It is a body a lot closer to an original Mk1 shape.
As there is no true perfectly correct GT40 Mk1 ,they all have their own idiosyncrisis and mine will be no different in that respect.
I did not build my chassis to compare it to any other car on the market...my chassis and car will be judged on their own merits and downfalls by the people that purchase them for the price they can afford.
A GT40 for the people /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Fran,
Congratulations on your new venture. I wish you much success. It is truly nice to see that the consumers have more choices. There is plenty of room in this world for all of those that make and sell these wonderful cars.

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Congratulations (again) Fran!

I had to pick up on the following on your website:

"Available soon from Race-Car-Replicas
GT40 MK1
GT40 MK2
GT40 MK4. J car"

J car eh? Is there no stopping you??? Will it be the Mirage after that? Either way, Bill H will be a busy man ...

Cheers mate (and well done again).

Rob

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
As Fran has eluded to subtle differences in bodies between manufactures, what are some examples (only in respect to outward appearance and shape, underlying I know can be a world of difference). I would be interested to learn what to look for.

I have personally only witnessed my Tornado, Rick Merz' GTD and a CAV. I have never taken a tape to any of these but my untrained eye has not spotted anything significant.

Only one thing, on a CAV the side air intake scoops rear of the door seem to have a slight bit sharper edge to the form as they graduate from the door to the inlet.

In addition, in the years following the original FAV development did any of these replica manufacturers actual use original molds or make molds identical to original, if so, who? One story I heard was that KVA had some connection to the original molds then GTD had some connection with KVA as well as Tornado. Could be urban legend too.

Fran - Congratulations on another excellent kit! This is great news for anyone in the market for a GT40 and Bill Hough's work is top notch. Good luck with all of your endeavors. Best regards, Orin Meyer

Hi Tim

Chris Melia's the man to spot all the differences. And there are lots of them.

I know that my (KVA MK1) doors are a wider profile at the front than the original (original MK111 doors were wider than MK1 doors, and it was easier for Ken Atwell to use the pattern for the MK1 that he took off Ford's MK111). GTD and CAV carried on the wide door profile, although GTD made a lot of changes to each panel, presumably for possible copyright reasons. Ask Chris how much fun it was mating a GTD front end to a KVA cockpit... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

On your Tornado, look at the panel between your nostril and the windshield and see how it curves upwards towards the windshield - it does exactly the same on the RF also - on other makes, and the original MK1, this panel flattens out towards the screen.

Fran's GT40 body will be interesting. I prefer the original look to the GTD/CAV look.

Cheers.

Rob

Fran, congrats on the new venture. Will the GT40 have Gulf-style flares as an option?

Looks like you're replicating all of my favorite cars. I've always thought the XJ13 was an all-time beauty. When is the F3L coming out?

Bob

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Fran,

This is the best news GT40 enthusiasts in the USA have had in years! I think you're products are absolutely spot on for today's market.

Color me very impressed!!

Regards,
Lynn

Maybe I'll rethink selling the drive train that's in my car now; hmmmmmmm?

Thx for the private email yesterday Fran, and for entertaining
a few questions. Sorry I couldn't call, but long distance calls
from work are suspect /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
This really is good news for the US market, and the price
fits nicely.
Hope you have fun with the IRL guys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif !

Bill D - sorry I didn't get your email last night. If you
want, I can call you tonight or tomorrow some time?

Ian

Bill

I hope Fran doesn't mind me butting in with
my 2 cents...

The beauty of Fran's philosophy, is that the owner
can tailor his car to suit his own taste.
For example, you can use either CV or driveshafts.
Fran prefers CVs....but I'm going with driveshafts.
No problem....Fran's suspension can handle either.
And not mega-dollar custom stuff...

I got the impression from Fran that sway bars aren't that
critical on a GT40 used primarily on the street.
But I'm sure he can set you up if you want them.
Regards.

MikeD

Thanks Mike

From what I can gather, I can get axles and CV joints fairly easy. All I need to know are the dimensions and what is at each end of the axles (Audi transaxle and C4 Vette hubs. I need to look into this further. Everything else seems pretty straightforward (so far).

Bill

One more question

Does this kit use the Audi 5000 transaxle? Kennedy Engineered Products makes an adapter to mate this transaxle to the SBF. Thier kit includes everything (custom flywheel, starter, adapter plate, clutch, and hardware).

Bill

Back