testing the ZFQ gear box

Status
Not open for further replies.
spent all day testing on Bruntingthorpe proving grounds today, with Chris and Martin and the new ZFQ gear box fitted to a MK 2 GT 40. we had a good 5 hrs on the track. speeds in excess of 150 mph.
the new box is super smooth. changes up and down the box like silk. gear changing is slick fast and positive.
gear ratio are spot on for fast cornering and final drive was fantastic for the 2 mile straight at Bruntingthorpe. Chris and Martin thanks for the drive and over to you Chris and Martin
Regards Dick

Attachments

• zfq.jpg
    zfq.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 1,068
TWO MILE STRAIGHT? nice.
So the question is did you top out in 5th?
And/or what RPM were you turning at 150mph in 5th?

Chris , Martin , Dick;

It was a real pleasure to watch and help you mounting your gearbox last weekend.
You can be very proud of yourself. Not only is your transmission a real pice of art, it is just gorgious, (can you say this in english for a gearbox?)
moreover the test today proved that it also works in the way intended.

Congratulations
TOM

sorry, I do not know what the HP or torque of the car is,I was just there for the drive, but their was a lot of it .Chris or Martin will come up with all that later i hope
regards dick

Attachments

• zfq2.jpg
    zfq2.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 1,000
more pics

Attachments

• zfq3.jpg
    zfq3.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 981
  • zfq4.jpg
    zfq4.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 974
  • zfq5.jpg
    zfq5.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 965
Anyone wanting to get away from RBT and get their hands on a working ZF type transaxle is going to need information.......such as the type of test car used (done), and some specific info about the test car (not done).

It would be nice to know the gear ratios in the trans with the final drive ratio, the rear tire diameter, and if it is a rod/sill shifter or cables......to name a few things, oh, and the RPM in 5th gear at 150 MPH.....already asked, but this time repeated.

Any additional information would be appreciated. I am sure their are many forum members that are eagerly waiting more bits of information,

Cheers,

Not to pick a fight but any information given ZFQ would be more than RBT has given. Im already interested in the ZFQ. I will be more than happy to pay extra $$$ if they deliver. I'm sick and Tired of hearing all the broken promises and upset comments about a that company.I tried several times in the past month to get a cost on some new gears with ZIPPO response to my messages or e-mails. I'm waiting for the next best thing because RBT surly IS NOT!!

Hi guys

the car used in the test was supplied by Rod Leach and Nigel Hulme the Uk Superformance Agents,
go here www.gt40continuation.co.uk/GT40_superformance_shelbydaytonacobra.html,
I would like to take this opportunity to thank Rod and Nigel for the use of this great car.
The 402 cu in fuel injected Roush engine was delivering well over 500HP which was more than enough for our purposes, the car was equipped with a rod linkage and 295 Avon rear wheel tires. Installation was a straight forward bolt in replacement of the ZF unit.
Martin took the car to 175 mph at 6000rpm, the gear change was as reported above was slick and positive with a nice range between the gears.
1st 2.533
2nd 1.619
3rd 1.2
4th 0.929
5th 0.742
Final Drive ratios 3.750.

The testing was essentially to test the production crown wheel and pinion which replaced the prototype unit.
We completed several cycles of hard starts, up shifting, down shifting at various speeds and high speed runs down the two mile straight. We completed 45 laps of the 4 mile circuit during the test.
We also had the production steel rear cover which retains the large shaft bearings fitted.
I hope this answers some of your questions

Chris
The ZFQ team.

Last edited:
Chris,

Thank you for all of your information!

I am sure many members are waiting to hear the availability and price information. (Or at least everyone that has a SPF GT40 setting in their garage.....or already ordered.....or already ordered and waiting for delivery.....or the many that are ready to place an order.....or-or-or.....). Thanks again, and cheers.

Gary and John

Sorry i could not answer your questions as i am not part of the ZFQ team. i was there as a driver, Bruntingthorpe is my home track i must have over 200 laps in my GT40 over the past few years. Hope Chris has now answered all your questions. Jim asked "Does it ever stop raining over there?", yes but i can not remember when, i think it was last year. i have some video of Martin and Chris at speed in the car looks like a speedboat with all the rain will try to post it up later.

regards

dick

Chris

Excellent news and many congratulations. I have sent you a message on your normal email, please reply soonest:pepper:.

Best

John

Hi Kevin

First batch is already sold and are in production, second batch of 50 should be ready June 08.

regards

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back