Need help with video.

Howard Jones

Supporter
I have some pretty good video from my incar at the WSCB but I'm not smart enough to get it on utube or whatever. I have copied it onto a DVD from my camera tape and it plays fine on my DVD player. Could someone do this for me if I sent them a DVD?

Video is very good quality and the sound even came out very good. The DVD has aprox 50 min of video on it containing two full 20 min sessions with the rest being grid form-up and track exit running time.

It would be a straight forward trimming at the beginning and end of the video if I knew what I was doing.

Anybody?

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Howard, give me a PM and I'll get you going. Should be no problem getting it hosted and compressed for the web.

Sandy

Howard Jones

Supporter
Lets see if this works. Drop.io hjones1

OK good, this is two sessions at Fernley Raceway in Nevada, east of Reno. Both are after lunch at the Western States Cobra Bash.

Last edited:
Who was that knob in the black Saleen holding you up?

Oh yeah, that was me! I suck.

Great video Howard. Too bad we ran into traffic so soon. Not that I would have been able to keep up with you...

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Howard Excellent Video, I think those are the same 'slow' factory 5 guys that were clogging up the road when I was last at Willow Springs,:veryangry: They hammer on the straight away then get all slow and crossed up in the corners. Nice job getting though them, and I can say nothing more enjoyable then passing Cobra's...well except maybe a Porsche :)

Sandy

Howard Jones

Supporter
I'm pretty happy overall with the video. I couldn't have posted it without Byron Reynolds help. He has a really cool Cobra with a blown 500in + motor in it. He's really a nice guy. Thanks Byron.

The spin came because I was trying to get through that RH kink high enough in revs to get it onto the pipe. But allas Ol Betty just wouldn't stand for it. That corner is taken at just under a hundred and I was trying to get it up to about 110 or so. Could have really gotten a nice hard pull in 4th up to the next brake zone instead of going down to 3rd and unsetting the car and........well you get the idea.

The second session was really fun. I think I had one good lap and it felt good all the way around. The problem all day was that the last corner leading onto the front straight was pretty quick and if I really hit it I would end up at the end of the front straight on the rev limmiter, about 135, right at the flag stand. The lift point was really about two seconds after that and so there was not enough room to go for 5th and then back to 4th through the ssss. Top speed on the straight would be above 145 with the rev limmiter chip pulled but this is just for fun... right. Buy the way the turn in is at about 110-115 or so. Back to power after the first apex and then down to 3rd for the final long LH.

Of course the whistle is the brakes. They always do that once they get hot. I like it. Sounds cool and let people know I'm there.

So Ol Betty held her own against some really powerfull cobras. Some of thouse guys were sporting 600 + HP and dot slicks but as you can see Ol Betty was quicker than most on the lap. I'm proud of the Ol Girl and her little 302.

Last edited:

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Yep, a lot of throw down Cobra show up, but I think that good driving generally is a better asset (I'm still working on that). I have seen you hammer a lot of folks at the Cobra Club at Willow and know you can drive :). Lot of fun, double bonus when you can come home and watch the video. And the 'Ol Girl' did great!

Howard Jones

Supporter
Here's one picture.

Attachments

• WSCB Betty.jpg
    WSCB Betty.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 237

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
For some reason I thought you had made it down for one of the Cobra Club events, I know Bud has made it to a bunch... Well compliments on the driving still hold!

Here is the link for the Video on the Motorator, I have not seen it yet as it is being processed. Should be up in a short while. If you have any details for the comments that you would like me to add let me know and I'll update.

Motorator Video - Western States Cobra Bash 2008

Sandy

Last edited:
Great video, Howard. Like you, I enjoy the "ringing" of my racecar brake discs as they get hot in a race, similar to a wet finger on a wineglass rim. To me, its an auditory indication that the braking system is working well. You can also hear it in the in car F1 DVD "Lap of the Gods"(see Rene Arnoux's Renault RE30B at Montreal) and also in Tiff Needell's test of the SPF GT40 on youtube.
Jack

Back