Mclaren F1 is still very quick.

Top Gear is the best show on TV. I just love it.

If I had the pick of the litter, the F1 would always be number one. Period. It is the finest driver's car ever made.

Pete K.

GT40s Supporter
(chuckle) If someone was giving 'em away, I'd take either. (But like everyone else, the F1 would be my pick.)

The solid body colored Veyron looks better than the 2 tone paint scheme in my opinion. The Mclaren F1's engine noise is magic. There is something about those mid 90's 200mph supercars that is just so cool.

Ian Clark

Supporter
I enjoyed the video too,thanks for posting the link. Made me wonder, does anyone here know what the original Ford GT40 did from a standing start over the same distance? I gotta believe it wouldn't be far behind...

Perhaps an interesting sidenote not known by many:
To take the Veyron to its maximum speed you first have to press a special button in the Veyron´s cockpit requesting an online clearance by VW via satellite. Upon receipt of the request, VW technicians first check whether you´ve stuck with the mandatory service intervals or not. These, among others, require you to completely chance wheels and tires for a brand new set every 10000 kilometers, setting you back 30.000 EUROS each time.
When everything is O.K., a satellite signal is being sent to the Veyron´s engine management releasing the last bit of horsepower.

The F1 for me too. Love the look, the central driving position, the abilty to change my own gears, it carries 3 and that glorious sound. Plus after what Marcus wrote I don't like anyone telling when I can or can't drive the S--T out of my car. I paid over a million $ and have to wait for approval? Not F'in likely!

but then again why would you, as if i recall correctly at full noise it will empty the fuel tank in a few minites, and its to bloody heavy to push to the next gas station.
kaspa

does anyone here know what the original Ford GT40 did from a standing start over the same distance? I gotta believe it wouldn't be far behind...
I can't say that I know, but I'd be somewhat distressed if it wasn't annihilated by both the F1 and Veyron. Drag racing is rather vulgar though ;)

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi Roger, The drag racing element of the contest would put a ZF equipped GT40 at a slight disadvantage given the jog in the shifter from 1st to 2nd gear but wouldn't bother a T44 equipped Mk11. From 0-100mph the new cars may get ahead but after that the '40 would surely hold them. These cars are bloody quick once past the century mark. Gotta be some data out there...

Here is an old simulation program that gives a rough estimate of all types of cars tests (1/4 mile, 1 mile, HP, TQ, and many more stats) the download link is at the bottom of the screen that I have attached. You can add all custom specs to any car you wish. I believe that the Mclaren F1 is already inputted along with about 700 other cars. Anyhow cool old simple program, have fun! (the cartest4.5 is the free one, at the very bottom of the page)

http://www.cartestsoftware.com/cartest4.5/index.html

Oh yeah, you can pit cars against each other in the test, around different real world tracks and straight line up to top speed.

Last edited:
I went ahead and inputted the specs that I found. Are these correct for the GT40 from this site? I did not use the superformance specs, which are better.
GT40 Specifications

Here's what the program spit out:
GT40Test.jpg

MclarenTest.jpg

VeyronTest.jpg

I dont think that the numbers are too far off real life, cool program. I know that the Veyron has special gears and is not limited to 6, I did the best I could to figure out what it would translate out to be as a 6 speed, program has a max of 6 gears.

Back