My SPF2202 against a 650 hp Ford GT

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Re: SPF vs Ford GT

I hate to say it but looks to be a little bit of a set up. Not saying the 40 is a slouch but come on.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter

Looked like the guy in the GT's skirt blew up in his face ~100 mph and he lifted...

Although I like the outcome I have to agree with Jack. By the GT's speedo it looks fairly even to 130ish then it turns a little one sided......

Rich.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter

Well...........fun to go fast, but this one does lack a bit of objectivity. However, in the looks comparison, the original always wins...

No way, I'm not buying it.

The two are probably pretty evenly matched (assuming the SPF has something like a roush 427) so there's no reason the SPF would pull away from the GT. The GT has much superior aero over the GT40 and should be able to edge out the GT40 over 150. Just my best guess....

Pathfinder Motorsports

Sponsoring Vendor

No way, I'm not buying it.

The two are probably pretty evenly matched (assuming the SPF has something like a roush 427) so there's no reason the SPF would pull away from the GT. The GT has much superior aero over the GT40 and should be able to edge out the GT40 over 150. Just my best guess....

Let's see, Cliff: The SPF weighs over a 1,000 lbs. less than the Ford GT (2375 vs. 3400), and with a small block aluminum 427 engine the SPF can produce 150 bhp more than the supercharged 5.4 liter (650 vs. 500) with magazine road tests showing 0-60mph times of 3.4 seconds vs. 3.8 seconds for the Ford GT (SPF stats from Car & Driver; Ford GT stats from R&T).

Hmmm, less weight, more horsepower ... I guess I can see why you're not buying it. Could it be the CAV in your garage? :poke:

Hi Alan,

Haha....honestly, wouldn't make any difference if it was a CAV or SPF or RCR in the garage. I'm a big fan of the GT, just as much as the GT40 in fact. I've seen GTs on the same track with SPFs and going down the straight they're neck and neck. And, the GT guys who have monkeyed with their car a little (smaller pulley, high flow injectors, etc.) are even faster and nudge out the SPF by the end of the straight. So, my "not buying it" here is at least based upon some first hand visual knowlege.

Nothing against SPF at all, they're absolutely fantastic cars, just not faster than a GT in my experience...

...just not faster than a GT in my experience...

I agree with you Cliff, it looks like the GT pulled off the gas pedal at the end. I have rarely ever seen a car pull away like that after which there were pretty much neck and neck. The only instances I have seen is when a HUGE turbo finally kicked in or the slower car had the CD of a brick.

With that said, fun video

Keith

It's a rolling race to 100 mph. The GT driver was just saving his gas. If it had continued you might have seen a quite different outcome because I reckon the SPF driver (not unreasonably) would have bottled it. That's the official BBRS (British Bench Racing Series) stewards report. :laugh:

Ron Earp

Admin

Tend to agree with Randy and Jack. Looks like a lift from the GT driver from where I'm sitting.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter

Cliff,

Can you help me understand how the GT has "much superior aero" over the 40, the two shapes appear very similar and the GT is larger. I know it probably has better down force due to the modern ground effects but doesn't down force increase drag?

I like the SPF so much better and is great that it can't play that gay music like in the GT.

The guy with the GT probably had his ..wife / girlfriend / boyfriend along for the ride.....otherwise known as the independent fear activated 100mph handbrake.

Hi guys... I was driving the SPF on that run.... as I was pulling away on 4th gear the Ford GT driver claimed he didnt want to get rock chips hitting his car and pulled off the pedal... I hit 170 mph I think he let off around 140 mph... My specs are 570 hp 7000 rpm and he claimed his had 650 hp... Weight makes a very big difference... plus he also had a passanger that was about 150 lbs extra .... But it was fun!!

Back