Ford GT40 MKII restoration photos

Mike Trusty

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
This is great. They are putting back to the original "Emberglo" color. It has been a black #2 replica car since the latter part of '66.

This is the car that I attempted to replicate with my car. Looking at the pictures you can understand why Donahue said that this was the best prepared car that he had ever driven. To bad it broke.

Trevor Booth

Lifetime Supporter
Supporter
knowing the people that are doing this resto you can be assured that it will be a standard for others to achieve.

Very cool!

I never realized how puny the brake rotors were. I knew that they improved the breed by going from solid to vented rotors, but assumed that the vented rotors used were fairly hefty. These look just like stock Mustang rotors, which amazes me.

I guess the Gulf-spec cars received serious brake rotors finally....

Mike Trusty

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
The attached pdf has some interesting history on GT40P/1032. Something interesting to me is that in '66 it was a MarkIIA and after the race it was painted black and used as a replica car for the winning car for the show circuits. At some point in it's non racing history after that point it was upgraded to MarkIIB specs including the dashboard.

Attachments

• 1032-gt40.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,205
Where is the shop? I go to school in Detroit and would possibly love to go see it. Thanks Mike for the story! If you want to see more original racing photos please visit my blog where i post new photos every day!

http://eknude.tumblr.com/

Thanks!

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
The Shelby E-American article is terrific. I am going to print this out and put it in my copy of the SAAC registry. Very very cool and thank you. These stories are fascinating to say the least.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I like it a lot. Some of that is because two of my cars are in there, and I am as prone to vanity as anyone else. But overall I think they did a very good job with an enormous task. What about you?

Great details on the brake cooling ducts - thanks!

Thanks. I'm Ken Schabow, the photographer who is taking these pictures. (I google my name every once in a while, tonight I decided to google my Flickr set link).

One of the guys asked me to take detailed shots of the brake ducts, so... there ya go.

Can't tell you where the car is, yes it is in Detroit area and yes it is worked on by Ford engineers, including me. It's pretty f'ing awesome to work on such a car, I gotta tell you.

By the way... I just added some new pictures to the set. The engine is getting close to being put in. Enjoy!

Ken

During a visit to last years Road America event a few of us who went got the chance to visit these guys and have a look round their workshop. A fantastic group of engineers and good all round guys they are too. They all work on a voluntary basis and do exceptional work.

Martin.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Welcome to GT40s.com Ken!

Thanks for taking all those pictures and updating us here... Great reference source for all!

Keith

Fantastic shots, thanks. Interesting to see the stock looking bottom end on that side oiler. Assuming cross bolted mains and still got the casting flash on the (presumably) stock rods. Also bolts on the main caps rather than studs, in fact the whole thing looks pretty standard at the bottom. Is this because of Historic connotations or is it all pretty bullet proof as is?

Fantastic shots, thanks. Interesting to see the stock looking bottom end on that side oiler. Assuming cross bolted mains and still got the casting flash on the (presumably) stock rods. Also bolts on the main caps rather than studs, in fact the whole thing looks pretty standard at the bottom. Is this because of Historic connotations or is it all pretty bullet proof as is?

I'm not the man to ask, so I don't know for sure - but I've been told that the car is among the most original of the racing GT40's, so it is very likely that those areas are original or damn close to it.

Thanks Randy.

Back