Pictures of my CAV GT40

I just picked this up a few weeks ago at the Barrett-Jackson Auction in Costa Mesa.

The following is the description from the website of the seller:

1966 Ford GT40
1966 Ford GT 40. This Car is Chassis # 53 manufactured By CAV, South Africa . The CAV GT has a tig-welded, stainless-steel monocoque chassis designed for torsional stiffness. Its integrity is ensured through CNC punched and bent panels and laser cut parts.The chassis is welded in jigs and its dimensional accuracy is superb. It features an integral roll over bar and side impact protection bars. Every CAV GT chassis is manufactured to accept a bolt-in roll cage for racing purposes. The front suspension comprises unequal length offset A-frame wishbones with an adjustable anti-roll bar linkage. Caster, camber and toe-in are all easily adjustable. The suspension geometry was re-designed to ensure superb handling both on road and track with the benefit of bump steer adjustment. The lower wishbone is braced. The front uprights are CNC machined from billet aluminium. The rear suspension geometry consists of independent double trailing links with inverted A-frame wishbones, upper transverse links and an adjustable anti-roll bar linkage coupled to billet steel uprights. The suspension design is true to the original without compromising on handling. The CAV GT features a compact, lightweight handbrake caliper that helps to reduce unsprung mass. The CAV GT has been perfected for racing conditions and the rear suspension now features 16 adjustable rose-joints. Suspension is fitted with adjustable coilovers on a 4 corners. Rolls on BRM 10 and 14” wide 6 pin Knock Off rims fitted with Goodyear blue streak racing tires. The ultra rigid vinyl ester resin body has received show quality paint and bodywork that will please the pickiest of enthusiasts. Finished in a DuPont Custom mixed paint we call “Daytona Blue” with hand painted stripe and numbers buried under the clear coat. This paint job is far superior then the quality the factory puts out. The cockpit Powered by a Ford Windsor stroked to 427 cu. Inches built for street / track use. 550hp and 500ft lbs of torque. Block is from Ford Racing, Aluminum heads from AFR, Weber 48 IDA induction keeps her breathing. Backed by a ZF 5speed built by RBT, it will shift you smoothly to 190mph+.. Cockpit fitted with Leather seats and Dash, Vdo gauges, and the comfort of Air conditioning and heater. The first 100 CAV GT's are well known as the best GT40 resurrection cars ever built. This car is #53 and only one of 4 built with the removable Targa Top. This car is legal for street use and qualifies for the vintage racing circuit. Runs on pump gas 92 octane fuel. Weighing in at 2300lbs this car handles like it is on rails and will bury you in the seat upon acceleration.

Attachments

• 91078_Front_3-4_Web.jpg
    91078_Front_3-4_Web.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 675
  • 91078_Interior_Web.jpg
    91078_Interior_Web.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 1,134
  • 91078_Rear_3-4_Web.jpg
    91078_Rear_3-4_Web.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 616
  • GT40 001.jpg
    GT40 001.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 1,191
  • 91078_Engine_Web.jpg
    91078_Engine_Web.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 633
Some additional pictures - IAN can you tell if these are your upright upgrades?

Attachments

• GT40 007.jpg
    GT40 007.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 509
  • GT40 008.jpg
    GT40 008.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 490
  • GT40 015.jpg
    GT40 015.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 500
  • GT40 018.jpg
    GT40 018.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 502
  • GT40 021.jpg
    GT40 021.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 485

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi Jesse,

She's got the upgraded rear uprights, good thing with those wide boots. You'll have no problems with wobbly wheel bearings, CV joints, bent clevis pins or cracks in the casting. Also the revised geometry increases roll resistance and anti squat without increasing ride harshness. Bump steer in toe is also minimized and your new Avons will wear evenly, bravo.

Really does deserve the matching front uprights to get away from the billet aluminum hub carriers (causes wobbly bearings) and early CAV steering arms that crack at the tie rod taper, not a good thing to have happen.

The upgraded steel parts for the front solve wobbly bearings, stop out of range binding of the upper ball joints and improves ackerman for crisper turn in and more steering feel. An added benifit of the steel hub carriers' radial hole pattern is improved cooling for the brakes and reduced heat soak in the axles/bearings.

Great looking car, I`ll be sure to include it in the Gallery section of our website (just about finished).

Cheers

That's a really nice car. So nice that Ian has all the great upgrades available for the CAVs. As I toil away on my build in the summer heat it makes me appreciate the wisdom of buying a road-ready GT40.

Very nice car Jesse! I like the offset stripe. I can only imagine the enjoyment with the top off.

Cheers,
Ty

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
I just noticed the area at the front of the side windows, I do not remember seeing this before, I guess it's for mirror mounting, do all CAVs have this?

Ian Clark

Supporter
That's a really nice car. So nice that Ian has all the great upgrades available for the CAVs. As I toil away on my build in the summer heat it makes me appreciate the wisdom of buying a road-ready GT40.

Thanks Mark, appreciate the plug:) it's all blood sweat and tears no matter who's figuring out solutions. Have to say there's a lot of awfully bright people on this forum.

Cheers

Ian

Back