Magnificent F1 Safety Documentary

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
http://youtu.be/-N9-QrRl1Uk

This is particularly directed to:

• Anyone about to see "Senna" (I already have; you should). It will provide some interesting context.
  • Anyone who's ever made a wise-ass or serious remark about Colin Chapman, genius, "adding lightness", "everything should serve multiple functions", etc. That would be me but also several of you too as well.
  • Anyone who appreciates good documentary movie making.
  • Anyone who's given even a moment's thought to the fire danger represented by the GT40s design.
  • And anyone who just wants to see some incredible footage from the 50s into the 70s.

Great programme, Funnily enough, it's been show a couple of times this week on BBC4. Always comes out on GP build up week.

Darren

I watched the doco on a recent Qantas flight, afterwards felt pretty dark on Mr Chapman etc.
However upon reflection I think these things need to be put into the context of the time, safety in general was not regarded in the same way it is today.
If you look at the statistics in the link below, whichever way you cut it if you got in a car in the 60’s and 70’s you had way, way more chance of dying as a result than today.
http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/safety/publications/2008/pdf/1925_05_casualties.pdf
Another thing is that for anyone who has ever got serious about competing in any sport is that you can turn into a bit of a dick as a result. The bigger the completion whether it’s the EPL, NBA, F1 or the Olympics the more narrow the focus on winning, the more everything else goes out the window and the bigger the probability that you’ll turn into a complete dick. So it’s a more than a good thing that the rule makers have stepped in make things safer as I don’t see the teams would have done it on their own.
Looking over the pond when Dale Sr. and Adam Petty died, it seemed to me (living in the states at the time) that the introduction of the SAFER Barrier was met by a lot of derision and hand wringing then also, but I doubt there’d be many people who argue for having that ripped out now.

http://youtu.be/-N9-QrRl1Uk

This is particularly directed to:

• Anyone about to see "Senna" (I already have; you should). It will provide some interesting context.
  • Anyone who's ever made a wise-ass or serious remark about Colin Chapman, genius, "adding lightness", "everything should serve multiple functions", etc. That would be me but also several of you too as well.
  • Anyone who appreciates good documentary movie making.
  • Anyone who's given even a moment's thought to the fire danger represented by the GT40s design.
  • And anyone who just wants to see some incredible footage from the 50s into the 70s.

Where were you able to find "Senna" been wanting to see that...

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Where were you able to find "Senna" been wanting to see that...

Los Angeles, although I drove 2 hrs each way and stayed overnight to see it. And it was worth it.

It's in limited release right now but widens up pretty rapidly in the next month. See:

SENNA (scroll down to schedule and map) 9/16 in Raleigh.

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Heads up, thanks for the pointer Darren, I checked BBC four and 'The Killer Years' is on tonight at 9pm.

Dave

Back