Say it ain't so

WARNING, WARNING! THIS IS NOT EASY TO STOMACH. HAVE HANKIE READY.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmBI0hT_-VU]Priceless Lamborghini Miura P400 SV burns on a London street - YouTube[/ame]

I have driven a Miura. An owner told me that the carbs were designed for a Porsche and not supposed to be angled the way they are in a Miura. Hence, at acceleration, it's possible for gas to flow out of the carbs onto the hot exhaust pipes. Especially if you take out the air cleaners or run without them. A recipe for disaster, no doubt accounting for a few Miuras turning to toast.

Miura's do burn. Same as old f-cars. Lots of old fuel lines running around hot exhausts along with the occasional blast of raw fuel out the top of the webers.

Didn't SOMEBODY have a darn fire extinguisher? I have two italian exotics and the first thing I did to both after purchase was install a fire extinguisher under the drivers seat front...

This link should work...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqpa1HB-wOc"]"A fire extinguisher ! My Kingdom for a fire extinguisher !" (act.5, scene IV)[/ame]

Last edited:
Didn't SOMEBODY have a darn fire extinguisher? I have two italian exotics and the first thing I did to both after purchase was install a fire extinguisher under the drivers seat front...

Absolutely right Cliff.
Not carrying an extiguisher or two in ANY car of value, rarity or certain vunerability is a recipe for disaster.

Keith

There is no way that is anywhere near "central London" and in my mind, that is a replica.

Could be wrong, but the car type/value & location just does not fit together. Those are 'mean streets' - suburbs, possibly Tilbury and it is a back street not a through road. (Edit - now know it's Acton West London. VERY mean streets)

Car has yellow rear number plate. A genuine Muira would have had a white on black item in period. The car is alleged to be a 1971 and therefore should have the black & white plate (cut off date - January 1st 1973). Nobody in their right mind would put the wrong plate on a car like this if it were genuine, ask any GT40 replica owner!

Insurance scam?

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I friend of mine owned a beautiful Muira and bought it new, hes one of those guys who never gets rid of anything, he had it stored in a building in Granby MO, a tornado went through the town and collapsed the building on the car, it was flattened. Although lamborghini never made a mark in racing it did have a number of beautiful cars in the early years, its sad to see these diminish as time passes. The cars I drive all the time have halon systems and the ones I don't carry a 5 lb bottle on the floor. The 40 has both!

Glenn M

Supporter
I think it has got the correct plates Keith. They are difficult to read but I think that the front one is very tiny (motorbike size) and low down and the rear one is set in the middle of the bumper. They look, to my old eyes, to be white/silver on black.

Glenn

Last edited:
The rear plate has been blurred out in the video. That's a real Miura. Not sure if that's central London....doesn't look too central as Keith points out!

A real shame. This one is a goner.

The rear plate looks to be silver on black and the # is KGV 206K. Plus the sub structures look pretty elaborate for a replica. My quess - it is real, what a shame. One of my all time favorite classics!

Back