Larry H. Miller Museum

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
I was on business this week in Salt Lake City, and drove 20 minutes outside of town to Miller Motorsports Park. The park, owned by the family of Larry H. Miller, has the absolute best collection of GT40s. They have a car from each era, including P-103, P-1015, P-1074 and the MKII (P-1102) that finished second at LeMans in 1966. The also have one of the road cars that were produced.

If you ever get to Salt Lake City, it's a museum you need to visit...

Attachments

• GT40s.jpg
    GT40s.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 6,014
I live about half an hour away from MMP, and the Ford museum there truly is world class.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCDm5JeRioY]Miller Motorsports Park Museum Tour- Garage419 - YouTube[/ame]

The info/history of the museums' GT40's goes from 2:30 to about 5:25

I was on business this week in Salt Lake City, and drove 20 minutes outside of town to Miller Motorsports Park. The park, owned by the family of Larry H. Miller, has the absolute best collection of GT40s. They have a car from each era, including P-103, P-1015, P-1074 and the MKII (P-1102) that finished second at LeMans in 1966. The also have one of the road cars that were produced.

If you ever get to Salt Lake City, it's a museum you need to visit...

Dave the following is to help you not criticism of you in any way.

GT/103 is the oldest surviving Ford GT its pre-production (that why it chassis number starts with GT and not GT40/P) did Bill Wonder last own it?

The Ken Miles/ Denis Hulme MKII No 1 GT40P/1015 was the second placed car at the 1966 Le Mans.

I would have thought that what you refer to as a MKII (P-1102) might be the road car MKIII that was produced M3/1102?

If the Shelby museum is the same as the Miller collection then I am confused? I thought cars from the Miller collection were on loan to the Shelby museum?
Does it also have a collection of Shelby cars i.e. Cobras, Daytona Coupe?
I got it into my head that it was based in Boulder Colorado? Utah?
But living in the UK what do I know about USA geography?

I hope they do not call P/1015 the Le mans winner and the MKIV is a J car not a GT40!

I envy you that your living near a great museum.

Thanks a lot for the pictures.

Regards Allan

Last edited:

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
Allan:

The Shelby Museum is part of the Shelby American facility in Las Vegas. The Larry H. Miller museum is just outside of Salt Lake City, Utah. So those are two different locations. I'm afraid I don't have the answers to some of your questions, as I'm far from an authority on the original GT40s.

The Larry H. Miller museum does have a nice collection of Cobras and Daytona Coupes, as well as the GT40s. Here is a link that lists some of the main cars they have in their collection.

Larry H. Miller Total Performance Museum Acquires Legendary Ford GT40

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks for providing further clarification, Brian!

The museum in CO web site currently lists its collection as holding some of the same GT40s, listed as owned by Larry Miller, so apparently you need to figure out which museum is actually holding them at the time of your visit.

When I visited the Boulder Shelby Museum two weeks ago there was one GT40 (don't remember which one and no Coupes. There was the Willment Coupe which was very interesting on its own. Plan to visit the Miller museum in about a week. Dave and Kyle, as I understand, if they don't have the museum reserved for a function, you just call ahead and they'll let you tour it? No specified hours or admission. Remarkable. Will post my comment after the visits.
Thanks for the info,

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
That's correct. The museum is essentially one large room in a building at the entrance to the track. Parking is before the building on the left. If they don't have a private event scheduled, you just walk in. No admission charge. When I was there, I had the entire room to myself for about an hour. Just me and about $80 million worth of the most amazing cars I've ever seen.....

Hi,

We are doing a roadtrip around Salt lake, is the museum still open?
Can't find anything on the web.

Thanks,
Frank

The curator of the Shelby American collection in boulder Colorado used to go back and fourth between the two collections and was heavily involved in both. Larry Miller who I met on several occasions was a super guy and unfortunately passed away a few years ago The family has since sold the track and It was my understanding they were going to relocate the museum in salt lake. The collection in boulder would share cars back and fourth with the collection in Utah and The last time I was in boulder They had more of the cars from Utah so I think maybe they are still working on it {mayhaps someone in Utah} has more info. I haven't had the time to talk to Dave to see about progress. The collection in boulder is open on Saturdays and I bet If you call them they would let you know..........................mahlon

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
I hope they find a home for the collection soon. I was there a few years ago and it was incredible.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
The Boulder venue is having their open house event here in a couple weeks. I have bought tickets in the past to visit the museum but they want to charge me $75 to bring my GT40 up next weekend so not sure I'll go or not.

Mike, they charge everyone $75 ($50 is tax deductible) for their annual party/fundraiser, which includes food, open bar, museum admission, commemorative poster, and there's usually someone from the Shelby Racing Team there.

That said, I think it's a great time and we usually throw in another $500 in tickets for the (2017) GT-350R raffle they hold each year. You can bring your car, or not, as there are plenty of other cool cars there besides ours. They parked me right up front last year even though I informed them it was a replica....

Last edited:

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
I may come only if to support the museum. I have a hard time lending financial support to a brand and a man that in the latter half of his career would sign his name on a blender if they'd pay him $5. Sell out.

Back