Last drive of 2013?

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
If it was it was fantastic! Hope for one or two more before the roads get the mag chloride and sand and the car is put up for winter. Time to get the sleds ready to shred some pow!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulb05_aXF0U]Ford GT40 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xBosM-yen4]Ford GT40 - YouTube[/ame]

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
This morning it was not GT40 weather at 9000 feet as I left home

1375155_712592208770501_1883658985_n.jpg

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
Nice video, Mike. Those AVONS wouldn't work so well in slush and snow. Colorado is beautiful, but I'm glad I live in Charlotte. We're just entering the best driving season here.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
No they would not ha. I have a different very expensive hobby that I can blow money on during the winter months when I'm not blowing money on expensive summer hobbies so I'm all set lol.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Haha looking at the weather I think I have one more weekend. Can't wait! Hop on a plane and fly out and I'll take your for a ride in God's country.

that is a loud car :D

very nice roads, but not in the snow...

around here most is as flat as a pancake...

although my neighbors the Germans, have some fine unrestricted roads which can be a plus and if you go a bit more to the south of Germany were you also can find the Nurburgring there are also fantastic roads, but thats a bit further away sadly.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Great videos Mike, you folks have had some crazy weather this year for sure, hope it calms down for you next year.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
We had great weather this year actually. Enough rain to limit the big fires along with the normal 300 days of sunshine we have up here. There was that 5 day period in Sep that didn't turn out so well but all in all it is a great place to live. This winter I plan on going through the car end to end for maintenance. Most mechanical upgrades have already been done so it will just be servicing of most components and getting it back to dinner plate clean top to bottom. I enjoy driving it and put 2000 miles on it this abbreviated summer season. That said I like it to be showroom new clean top to bottom too. Its just an OCD I have I suppose. Looking like I may get one more weekend to drive before they put any sand and mag chloride on the roads. Fingers crossed!

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I have a couple projects to get done in the garage then I'm going to start fixing the things on the 40 I'm not fond of. Our winters are really mild compared to yours and hope to enjoy the 40 with the heater on. :)

Now watch it start snowing at the end of this month.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
What are you doing to the 40?

Change cam, change pressure plate, install solid motor mounts, find and fix freon leak in the evaporator area, I hope that its one of the connections leaking, it leaks down after a few months. Cut and install another piece of glass over the top of my 3/4 thick acrylic window like Richard has on his, it really makes a difference. If I have the extra cash I might install the ram lift system on the front but for sure cut out aluminum skid plate like Mike M has on his. I also want to see if one of the Bosch fly by wire systems that M Benz uses would work on the TWM throttle bodies, then I can go forward with traction control.

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
Jack, I have a Ram Lift system which I occasionally use. It only raises the height of the front by about 2-3 inches, but that can make the difference between success and failure in navigating dips at the end of driveways, etc. Dennis Olthoff installed mine, and to make it work he said he needed to install a shorter spring than the one that came from Superformance. I can take a photo of his installation if that's any help to you. Or you might call him for advice before you make the $1,800 or so investment.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Sounds extensive. I want to inspect and repack wheel bearings, figure out why the fuel tanks don't balance, replace brake/clutch fluid, coolant, engine oil. I think I am going to remove the A/C for now as well. I also want to deal with the rear emergendy brake clicking noise. I am going to look at maybe different shocks and setting the ride height a bit lower. I would be interested in learning more about the ram lift. I really want to drop the car down and so I also have some interest in investigating a smaller clutch and bellhousing setup. I don't like it hanging under the cross member much. I hope you start a thread for all your mods as I would be interested in following the effort.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
I'll be talking to you soon Dave to find out more. I need to call Dennis at some point as well.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Thanks Dave I'll give Dennis a call and get his input, Rick from SoCal did his own a couple years ago, I was really impressed with the way it worked.

I will start a thread Mike, more for the traction control than the other personal preference issues, most guys want to make more power, I want to take it out. :laugh: All I have left in the garage is do a major service on my 348 ferrari and then the lift will be freed up.

Mike,
I have two questions of you. The first one may have been asked at some time earlier but I can't find.
1. Your shadows of your camera leads me to think it is a Go Pro. Even if it isn't I would like to know what type of camera you used on those beautiful rides through the mountains. What setting or additional equipment did you use. Those rides remind me of the mountains just west(?) of Denver. One that we took to the top and it was beautiful.
2. On your trips to those mountains. On your return on the downward side, did you have any fuel starvation problems, and if not how are your fuel lines plumbed, or did you do this on a full tank(s)? Inquiring minds want to know.

Bill

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Bill, sorry didn't see your questions. It is a GoPro 3 Black+. It seems to handle exposure much better than the GoPro2 I had. You are correct it is just west of Denver in the foothills. I don't have fuel starvation problems until ai run it out of gas which I finally did last week again. I do it every year it seems and have to call in backup with a gas can to come rescue me.

Back