GT40 Chassis 111

Hello:
About 10 years back I had the opportunity to drive GT40 111, the Whitmoore Le Mans car. I did not drive it in completion but on regular roads in traffic. I still cherish that drive. At the moment, being a photographer, I took a number of pictures. Unfortunately, about two years later, I suffered a [hard drive] crash and lost about 10,000 pictures ! Also those of the GT40. Realizing the uniqueness of the car and the lack of pictures and wanting to diversify in my my photography into my other passion, cars, I decided to “restore” some remnants of this session, mainly thumbnails mere snapshots. Therefore the pictures are not up to standard, but better a picture which is not optimal than no picture at all. I just published the page but it is not integrated into the menu system of the site. Therefore; chances are big that you are only able to access it from the link in this mail.

I trust you will be interested in these at Ford GT40. ( shortlink in case embedded on does not work Photography in Motion by Andre L. Hulstaert1965 Ford GT40 - Photography in Motion by Andre L. Hulstaert )

Enjoy !

Andre

Very kind of you to share! I hate to rain on your parade, but the car you drove is not GT/111. Either you misremember the story behind the car you drove, or else somebody was trying to pawn off a fake. The whereabouts of GT/111 were unknown for many years, so it wouldn't surprise me if some unscrupulous character would craft a proper replica and then attempt to affix the false identity to it. However, GT/111 was one of four Mk 1 roadster GT40s, and the car you shot was a coupe.

Some years after you drove the car in question, the real GT/111 surfaced. Full story and photos here:

www.classicdriver.com/driven-1965-ford-gt40-roadster

I wonder where the car that you shot is located today?

Bummer about the hard drive crash....:cry:

Hello Mike
Thanks for the info/rectification.
As to rain on my parade, not really, drizzle at the most. This will not take away the memories of an exhilarating, and fast drive over winding country road. Naturally, it puts my page in a different perspective. . . I will amend the text on it.
It was exhilarating and a pain at the same time. This car is righthand drive in a country where they drive on the righthand side of the road. It being so low makes it impossible to see through the car in front of you to pass on those narrow two-lane roads. To move enough to the left to see is quite dangerous as one is almost completely in the opposite lane before one sees any oncoming traffic. The trick is keeping quite a distance between the car(s) you're about to overtake. This however bings another problem, being so low, the car behind you has no problem looking over you and seeing all the traffic and the big gap between you and the slow(er) cars. Thus one has to be very aware of this when making your overtake move; the possibility of a car in your dead angle (3/4 left rear) .
As to mis-remembering, no, the owner was quite firm that this is car 111, told me it ran Le Mans and crashed and was the retired. It sounded a bit like it crashed at Le Mans. He claimed he had the FIA papers to prove the pedigree. On of my pictures is the VIN number, hard to see on the thumbnail but clearly 111 (and very easy to replicate, just a rectangular piece of aluminium). As I had no intention to buy it I did not go deeper into it.
I photographed and drove the car in Belgium and was then owned by a dealer in exotic and rare racing and sportscars. He was asking about $375,000. I since lost contact and I believe he went bakrupt and now has a Landrover 4x4 business.
Yes, I wonder too, where is that car?
You know the ironic thing about thast harddrive ? It was a brand new one (2 weeks old) in replacement of a hardrive who could fail but was still basically healthy.

You have good taste in cars, I personally had a '72 Pantera as daily driver, also had a '67 Shelby Cobra GT350 convertible and a matching coupe (cosmetical a Bullit clone but on a GT350 - bought it that way) The pictures of the Pantera perished in the crash, even the thumbnails, I do have some thumbnails left of the Shelby's though.
I LOVE the AC Cobra, am old enough to remember them becoming really expensive. Always wanted one but, as daily driver, not so handy. It was Rod Leach in England who started it all, the skyrocketing of the value. If I remember right he had a pub (bar) in England and sold Cobra's on the side. He put one into an auction and it broke alle records (always suspected he was behind all this). Then he put anther one into auction, same, record price and the status and price was set.
Thanks again for your info.
Andre

Thought it looked familiar...
Two threads to help.....

In " ALL GT40's "- thread titled 'Re: Classic& Sportscars UK-page 13- GT111 found in london.'

In " Original GT40's "- thread titled ' Unknown beauty'.

Thought it looked familiar...
Two threads to help.....

In " ALL GT40's "- thread titled 'Re: Classic& Sportscars UK-page 13- GT111 found in london.'

In " Original GT40's "- thread titled ' Unknown beauty'.

Hello:
In the tread Classic Portscars there is a post by Trevor Booth who show the car I am talking about (same license plate which I took out to protect privacy) and seems to be taken at the same place I took them: inside the court of the dealer near St. Truiden in Belgium.
Thanks for the information, this seems to be a mysterious and controversial car of which, it seems, nobody knows the real truth.
Andre

Ah, Belgium. That closes the loop.

In the 'small world' department, in 2004 I went to Brussels to do a photoshoot of an original factory Group 4 race Pantera (one of only 14 built), which was/is owned by Guy Trigaux. At the time he was running GTC Motorcars, a speciality shop that worked only on collector/exotic cars.

I shot a bunch of photos in the shop, including this same GT40. He told me that it was being passed off as an original car, but in fact it was a replica (he didn't specify that it was a Safir, but I later learned that). I only shot three crummy photos of it, but they tell the tale to those who are smarter than I am on such things (which is many, many people!)

Andre--e-mail me (my address is in my signature below) and tell me the VIN of your Pantera, and I'll find it for you if I can, in the online registry. There are over 4000 cars in the registry so there's a much better than even chance that it's still out there and you can see what it looks like today....

Attachments

• DSCN4184.jpg
    DSCN4184.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 509
  • DSCN4185.jpg
    DSCN4185.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 498
  • DSCN4183.jpg
    DSCN4183.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 452

Ron McCall

Supporter
Ah, Belgium. That closes the loop.

In the 'small world' department, in 2004 I went to Brussels to do a photoshoot of an original factory Group 4 race Pantera (one of only 14 built), which was/is owned by Guy Trigaux. At the time he was running GTC Motorcars, a speciality shop that worked only on collector/exotic cars.

I shot a bunch of photos in the shop, including this same GT40. He told me that it was being passed off as an original car, but in fact it was a replica (he didn't specify that it was a Safir, but I later learned that). I only shot three crummy photos of it, but they tell the tale to those who are smarter than I am on such things (which is many, many people!)

Andre--e-mail me (my address is in my signature below) and tell me the VIN of your Pantera, and I'll find it for you if I can, in the online registry. There are over 4000 cars in the registry so there's a much better than even chance that it's still out there and you can see what it looks like today....

Hey Mike,how about sharing some of those Pantera Gp4 pics????

Trevor Booth

Lifetime Supporter
Supporter
It is a frank wigg tub not a Safir.
The car is now Owned by a bloke in France , he is attempting to obtain HTP papers for it
I have not heard from him for some time

Back