drag strip

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
This is the second time I taken my car to the drag strip, I went with a couple friends that have the new Challengers with blowers on them, they are relentless on trying to get into the 10s, if I knew what I was doing I think I might have been able to do it. I only made one run (no burn outs) as I don't want to break anything. One person came over to my car when I finished and said thats a fast car I replied it does alright might do better with someone who knew what to do, he said it beat my drag car and your driving it home. Made me fell a couple inches taller. :)

I have to put solid mounts in as Kirby suggested, look at the top of my air cleaners in the rear view mirror.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaZsbnQTi_I]Mokan dragstrip 11-17-13 - YouTube[/ame]

Attachments

• IMG_1681.jpg
    IMG_1681.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 458

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Looks like I needed another cup of coffee before I typed this! Please look over the typing errors, I'm sure Kirby will point them out to me. :)

You're braver than me Jack. I'm gun shy about standing starts with an RBT (or any ZF derivative). Looks like you didn't drop the clutch with big revs though? What tires?

Kirby Schrader

They're mostly silver
Lifetime Supporter
Looks like I needed another cup of coffee before I typed this! Please look over the typing errors, I'm sure Kirby will point them out to me. :)

Ah, heck, Jack... I'll let you off this time.
:thumbsup:

Questions
1) Time? Speed? Looked like over 100mph (Never mind! I should have clicked on the second picture!)
Nice job with those oldish Avons!

2) Do you get any more vibration?

Kirby

Last edited:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Nice job Jack!!!! You nursed it out of the hole and gave it hell!!! Mid 11s are nothing to sneeze at when 427 Vettes on slicks with deep gears only did marginally better...

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Dave, OLD Avons, hard to believe they hold up this well but they do, I have at least 10k miles on these.

Thank you Kirby, :) no vibration at all but you sure can see that motor jumping up and down in the video. Where did you get your solid mounts? Dennis?

Randy its good to see your back! There was a 09 Vette there that couldn't get out of the 13s. I was reading my ticket after the run, the smaller reaction time the better correct? Whats a good reaction time?

Thanks guys!

Jack,
Good run! Obviously the 60ft time is what killed the et. You were definitely sleeping at the wheel! ;o) A great reaction time is .001-.009. (the older equipment measured .500 and up)

I think 10s are a stretch unless you are willing to abuse the tranny and run slicks/air down your tires. I have a 930 in one of my gt40s with a BBC and I will probably try to break it too!! ;o) In search of the next weakest link......

Have fun, and thanks for posting the vid, Scott

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Jack,
Good run! Obviously the 60ft time is what killed the et. You were definitely sleeping at the wheel! ;o) A great reaction time is .001-.009. (the older equipment measured .500 and up)

I think 10s are a stretch unless you are willing to abuse the tranny and run slicks/air down your tires. I have a 930 in one of my gt40s with a BBC and I will probably try to break it too!! ;o) In search of the next weakest link......

Have fun, and thanks for posting the vid, Scott

No kidding about the sleeping at the wheel although I was wide awake. Thanks for those reaction times, I didn't have a clue. More than likely the last time at the drag strip, its a road car right...:stunned:

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
A 1.8 60 is not bad at all in a car geared like the GT40. You were getting after it Jack.

Kirby Schrader

They're mostly silver
Lifetime Supporter
Thank you Kirby, :) no vibration at all but you sure can see that motor jumping up and down in the video. Where did you get your solid mounts? Dennis?

Nope.

I made them myself. I just cut some pieces of iron plate and welded up an all metal piece which mimics the part with the rubber on it.

Pretty easy, actually... even with my limited talents.

Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures, but I'm sure you'll see what I'm talking about. Just lift the engine slightly and take the upper parts of the motor mount off. You'll see what I mean.

Later,
Kirby

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Nope.

Pretty easy, actually... even with my limited talents.

Kirby
You underestimate yourself! I will follow your lead soon as I get a the 348 major done.

Thanks to both Mikes :)

The drag strip is about 75-80 miles from our house, most of the drive is hwy and you can clip along at 75 mph easy. I forgot I gave my earplugs from the car to my nephew in Monterey last August (I snore real bad), also forgot about the noise level inside the car at 75-80 mph there is a drone that after a few miles will drive you nuts. Someone needs to start a thread and have people put their DB levels in at different speeds. Richard from Idaho has the quietest car I've been in and I want to copy what he did unless there is someone with a quieter car. I know its a race car but its night and day difference between Richards car and mine with DB level and for those us that put lots of miles on their car noise is a big pain in the ass as heat.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
You underestimate yourself! I will follow your lead soon as I get a the 348 major done.

Thanks to both Mikes :)

The drag strip is about 75-80 miles from our house, most of the drive is hwy and you can clip along at 75 mph easy. I forgot I gave my earplugs from the car to my nephew in Monterey last August (I snore real bad), also forgot about the noise level inside the car at 75-80 mph there is a drone that after a few miles will drive you nuts. Someone needs to start a thread and have people put their DB levels in at different speeds. Richard from Idaho has the quietest car I've been in and I want to copy what he did unless there is someone with a quieter car. I know its a race car but its night and day difference between Richards car and mine with DB level and for those us that put lots of miles on their car noise is a big pain in the ass as heat.

Some properly applied insulation makes a big difference as does a glass bulkhead window. Keeping in mind that the GT40 is built of lots of steel sheets that make lovely drum heads, resonance and vibration are the enemy. Stick on mastic type insulation on the seat pans, floors and bulkhead will reduce the drumming considerably. Also filling any air pathways into the cabin helps. The shift rod tunnel under the RH seat is a major entry area, easy to plug with some closed cell foam and tape. The A/C seal kit we have reduces air and noise entry from the front clip area.

An investment in time and effort will greatly reduce the "drumming/resonance" issues.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I have done most of the above, I think the noise can be reduced by a great deal by adding a second window made of laminated glass over the 3/4" acrylic window, this is what Richard did, also he put 1/2 wet suit type material everywhere even the foot wells which I have not. Would be a great contest to see who can get the lowest DB. :)

Thanks Rick!

Kirby Schrader

They're mostly silver
Lifetime Supporter
I made them myself. I just cut some pieces of iron plate and welded up an all metal piece which mimics the part with the rubber on it.

Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures, but I'm sure you'll see what I'm talking about. Just lift the engine slightly and take the upper parts of the motor mount off. You'll see what I mean.

I'm quoting myself here...

While digging through things, I found the motor mount pieces with rubber that I replaced.

I'm sure most everyone has seen them, but I took these out and made solid pieces out of about 1/4" sheet metal to replace them.

Pretty easy to do.

FWIW,
Kirby

Attachments

• IMG_0575.jpg
    IMG_0575.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_0576.jpg
    IMG_0576.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 235

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Is there an issue with the engine being able to move slightly with rubber mounts? What problem is being solved by solid mounts other that rubber mounts eventually wearing out? It would seem rubber mounts would also isolate some of the vibration from the chassis as well?

Kirby Schrader

They're mostly silver
Lifetime Supporter
Is there an issue with the engine being able to move slightly with rubber mounts? What problem is being solved by solid mounts other that rubber mounts eventually wearing out? It would seem rubber mounts would also isolate some of the vibration from the chassis as well?

1) If the engine moves 'slightly', I'd have no problem with it. Based on passengers watching, their comments were that it was lifting 'more than an inch'. This meant to me that the rubber was being stressed too much for my taste. What else is getting stressed or moved during this? Dunno... The ZF mount? Hoses? Wiring? Exhaust?
Do I have measured proof? Not at all.

2) Wearing out or breaking... That's it. I didn't want one of the rubber mounts to fail (usually the left one under acceleration) like I've seen them fail on other cars. Back in the dark, distant past, I had a dent in my '64 Ford Galaxie hood where the tri-power air cleaner hit it when the motor mount failed. Didn't want that to happen to the GT40.

3) As I've stated before, I have not noticed any increase in vibration nor noise with the solid motor mounts. Nothing moves when I nail it now, though...

I'm always of the opinion that it's my car, so I did what I wanted to...
Just sharing information.
:laugh:

FWIW,
Kirby

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks Kirby that would stink if you had one break. If you don't think it has added any vibration I may do a set this winter myself. Thanks for your reasoning

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Ok
On my car at the drag strip, I managed to break an engine mount
It has a Rover unit in it and had standard SDI mounts

Under hard acceleration the front of the engine tries to lift and twist around the crank line, lifting the left side of the engine and hence stretching the snubber on that side

Well on the hard launch it let go
There was a lot of banging and when I went to pull second my accelerator pedal stayed on the floor

The engine had jumped up on the left side about 3 inches
Unfortunately on my set up the throttle crank was on that side and wedged itself in the rear clip holding throttle wide open

I suggest anyone who has standard rubber mounts keep an eye on them and preferably swap them out for some beefier ones or solid mounts.

Ian

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Solid mounts will give me peace of mind, not sure if mine are broken or not but will let you know and post a couple pictures.

Back