p2161 Last Drive

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
For 2014...

Snow is starting up high where I live so it was time to load up and haul the car up to the house for winter hibernation. I put on about 1600 fantastic miles this summer. Contemplating a power-plant swap this winter. Might have a Roush 427 for sale soon for a good price. PM me if interested.

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/WKTyHbdzb04" allowfullscreen="" height="360" width="640" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
There is no way on God's green Earth that any engine you might replace your 427 with will SOUND better (or perform better) than your present 427.

Don't go off the 'deep end', Mikey...:coolgleam:

Last edited:

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
There is no way on God's green Earth that any engine you might replace your 427 with will SOUND better (or perform better) than your present 427.

Don't go off the 'deep end', Mikey...:coolgleam:

Oh, I don't know....a 331 at full chat has more "rip" and "tear" than the larger displacement. Esp. with those open pipes!

Sad that you must park it now.....even here in the land of crap weather we will get some fine driving days into early November. Of course they will be sandwiched with really shitty weather but it makes us appreciate the fine drives even more.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Oh, I don't know....a 331 at full chat has more "rip" and "tear" than the larger displacement. Esp. with those open pipes!

...but, if one prefers to stay out of jail, he doesn't run a 331 (or anything else!) "at full chat" on the street, and, after all, Mike does always seem to be operating his '40 on the street. ;)

Sound-wise, below "full chat", a 331 can't begin to hold a candle to the sound of Mike's stroker IMHO.

Besides - HIS 427 IS PAID FOR!!!

Might as well get a Dart 4.125" bore 8.200" block to go with that 3.25" crank to get that free rev potential that the old stroked 427 truck motor lacked, more weight loss & nice sounds, what more could you ask for.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Now we're talking. I'm shallow. I admit it. A MkI should sound a certain way to be authentic. My struggle will be to find an engine builder that is local that would know how to build a proper engine.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
A MkI should sound a certain way to be authentic.

But, to be authentic, the car should also have RHD, a sill shifter, Girling resevoirs (which your car had but you got rid of!), Girling brakes, Webers, etc., etc., should it not? :shrug:

IOW, how far down 'Authentic Road' do you invision yourself going here?

To each his own and all that, Mike, but, your '40 is totally fine and then some just the way it sits right now IMHO! :thumbsup:

(sigh) I must be getting old...:sad:

Last edited:
When first hearing of your prospective engine changes I thought Webers might be on the way. Never guessed a full engine swap. Will the new engine get its juice from a nice set of 48 IDA's? I went with the more streetable 44 IDF's and love 'em. They add something special IMO...certainly in the looks department.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Might as well get a Dart 4.125" bore 8.200" block to go with that 3.25" crank to get that free rev potential that the old stroked 427 truck motor lacked, more weight loss & nice sounds, what more could you ask for.

I would like to discuss further with you if you would be willing

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
Mike - if you're looking for a great engine builder, call Lee Holman at Holman Moody. Their guys are great, and they've been building engines for GT40s since the '60s.

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
They can build engines to any specification, Mike. I think they've built several of the engines for the GT40/R's that have been produced. Might be worth at least a call to them to see if they're a fit for you. Lee Holman is a good guy.

Back