Youtube etc.

I would like to gather information on shooting, editing, and posting videos to Youtube. I have made videos in the past of the kids and their adventures, but they were off bulky camcorders and for home consumption(pre Youtube). From what I am seeing the technology has definitely moved on and I would like to get a grasp of how it works. I have downloaded the NCH software and its tutorials. A slight learning cure for me, but it doesn't look overwhelming. Anyone with experience with this software would appreciate a word or two about it, or other software out there, and the best way to go about it.
Specific questions would be along the line of which are the best cameras to use, Go Pro, blackbox types that I have seen that do loop recordings with backup/foward cameras. other editing software, and best modes to post in, length of videos, and requirements for posting(if any). An idea of cost would be helpful.
Thanks in advance for your guidance and help.

Bill

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Bill, I'm just an amateur but will share my thoughts. I know nothing about NCH but have used Final Cut for some time. Post processing video is time consuming but a lot of fun. The first thing you will need is a lot of computer HP to process HD video. A five year old PC may not be able to keep up. I do everything on a newer Mac with 32G ram. The second thing is audio. I think that quality audio is as important or even more than quality video. Great video with crap audio is well... crap. GoPro cameras shoot amazing video but have horrible audio. Get an external mic and then sync up the video and audio during post processing. Modern DSLR cameras can shoot very high quality video but are much harder to mount in-car/on-car than a GoPro if that is what you are after. GoPros also offer a very wide FOV which can be very useful depending on what you are after. Once you get a little practice there are many techniques that are fun to play with. Time-lapse in one I have been enjoying lately. Below are a handful of videos that might give you some ideas. Its all about practice and experience. I learn something new about shooting and post processing every time I go out. Lastly, realize that 80% of video you shoot just like taking still pictures, will turn out like crap. Its just the way it is. Pre-planning and luck will have a lot to do with amount and the quality of the final product you end up with. I'm in New Dehli right now and have shot a ton of handheld video while I have been here of the insane traffic. Can't wait to get home and see if any of it came out.

Time-lapse I shot a couple weeks ago with a $300 GoPro.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/GOGTGVv09Cs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Canon 7D exterior, GoPro in-car, Rode Stereo mic plugged in to Zoom H1 recorder

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ulb05_aXF0U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

GoPro video also using Rode Stereo mic plugged into Zoom H1

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/tAnsdi2MeDY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
I've done a few videos just using the Microsoft Movie Maker software that comes with Windows and GoPro HD cameras:

<IFRAME height=315 src="//www.youtube.com/embed/e694Jc0WrAo" frameBorder=0 width=560 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/EX7a6m3rS_s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Did this time lapse video with Windows Movie Maker and an old Sony digital Handicam:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Psy-e1veYR0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back