Avons - Photos for Mike MHNCO

Hi Mike,
As promised I am posting photos of my car c/w its Avons.
275/55 Rear & 215/60 Fronts. All on 15 inch rims.
Best Tyre for Road & Track, IMHO.
Hope enclosed shots help you with your deliberations :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Attachments

• Lroom Mod 1--5.jpg
    Lroom Mod 1--5.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 362
  • Lroom Mod 1--4.jpg
    Lroom Mod 1--4.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 286
  • Lroom Mod 1--3.jpg
    Lroom Mod 1--3.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 387
  • Lroom Mod 1--3 (2).jpg
    Lroom Mod 1--3 (2).jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 260
  • Lroom Mod 1--2.jpg
    Lroom Mod 1--2.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 358
  • Lroom Mod 1--2 (2).jpg
    Lroom Mod 1--2 (2).jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 307
  • Lroom Mod 1-.jpg
    Lroom Mod 1-.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 331

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Great looking car Paul, thanks for posting. What is the rim width in the rear? Thanks!

Paul,
Thanks for posting. I'm going to be getting a set of them for my GTD this spring. Thinking of going with 295/50 for the rears though if they will fit. The 275s really look great too.

Same here , I am working on changing out my 17's for 15's on my green RF...means brake rotor changes and so on. AVONS seem to be the go with the right look although very expensive. My worry is getting the right offset wheels, I see Summit sell cheap steel 15inch rims in 10 inch wide with lots offsets for $70ish a rim so might buy a few so I can play with the offset before commiting to big dollar rims that could be not quite right if you know what I mean?

Paul- Sensational looking car, thanks for posting.

Paul,
Thanks for posting. I'm going to be getting a set of them for my GTD this spring. Thinking of going with 295/50 for the rears though if they will fit. The 275s really look great too.

Eric, I don't know what the wheel/knock-off pattern is for your car but you are welcome to borrow my rear wheels/tires (295-50-15) for trial fit measurement purposes at some point during the winter months. You aren't that far from me.
A.J. PS - I hope we can get both cars over to LIme Rock this year for the parade.

Dave would the offset not be the same as what you already have.

I run avons 225/60 on the front and 295/50 on the rear.
I track it and on the data often will hold 1.2G on cornering and braking.
A very impressive tire.
They also have 3 compounds from memory

Jim

Attachments

• PA260046.jpg
    PA260046.jpg
    299.7 KB · Views: 415
  • PA260048.jpg
    PA260048.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 401
Last edited:
Love the pics of your car Jim, my wheels are ok but i think i could get a better wheel position, I am also worried about tyre rub so thought i would use the steel wheels with spacers to get perfect position then order.

Eric, I don't know what the wheel/knock-off pattern is for your car but you are welcome to borrow my rear wheels/tires (295-50-15) for trial fit measurement purposes at some point during the winter months. You aren't that far from me.
A.J. PS - I hope we can get both cars over to LIme Rock this year for the parade.

AJ,
Thanks! I just looked at that "tirelist" that Tom created and They look like they will fit. Now, I'm intrigued by the 225 fronts after seeing Jim's pics, but they look iffy. I plan on being in the parade this year. I brought my 550 spyder last year and it was a blast...

Attachments

• IPAD Pics 195.jpg
    IPAD Pics 195.jpg
    308.9 KB · Views: 340
Just looks like a 200 year old house,and a road with a slight down grade. Could have been dirt not to long ago. Cheers Brian

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Would you guys share rim widths along with the various tire sizes you are running? Thanks

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Remember guys - you put these competition tires on the street, you are also risking your bodywork and paint as they pick up every little bit of sand and gravel, then hurl it at your bodywork.. If you do not have some impact resistant coatings on the bottoms of your fenders, you will end up with damage to the fiberglass and star cracks to prove it..
Proceed with caution..

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Randy, I have ran Avons since new. I do have the Olthoff foam protection inside the wheel wheels and I do have clear bra around the entire rocker sections as well is inside and out on all the fender lips. I have never had a single chip or defect. They will throw rocks as you point out so I avoid roads that are not clean and if I have to pull through a lot that has pebbles I will do so at a crawl. I guess what I am saying is I share your experience with sticky tires but I think there are solutions that mitigate it almost entirely. I will say from experience, do not follow someone with these tires unless you don't mind a cracked windshield. I always warn other when I am out for a drive with a group to not get too close.

Regarding the original topic. It is important for me that I know rim sizes along with tires sizes as that plays a large part in appearance and fitment. Please every share your rims dimensions as well. Thanks

Back