LMC Dream Car Garage Vintage Cars 2002: 1967 GT40

Markus, nice find. I'd never seen this clip either so thanks for posting. You can tell its old as he claims the car to be "worth $2 million, maybe a little bit more!" I think a little bit more is a wee bit of an underestimate by today's standards with this cars provenance.

Keith

You mean a CV joint at the gearbox end with a universal joint at the hub? Should they be UJ's at both ends? Were there even any SPF's 13 years ago?

Mike Pass

Supporter
The driveshafts look correct to me. They have a Hardy Spicer type joint (Hookes joint) at the outer end, not a constant velocity joint, and a very large rubber doughnut at the inner end. All the original ones I have seen look like this. The carb and exhaust manifold look OK as well. I don't know enough about Kar Kraft gearboxes to tell if the box is correct.
If only I had that kind of money.....
Cheers
Mike

I was under the impression this car was the real deal. $2 million for a GT 40 replica....sadly not yet. The priciest one I've come across was a Gulf GT 40 from Gelscoe being offered at @ 395,000 pound sterling.

Charlie Farley

Supporter
At the risk of repeating myself.
Go to 2.22.
To the right of the freeze frame is what looks to me like a CV joint gaiter,
together with a large jubilee clip. No Metalastic rotor in sight.
Never seen that on the three original MK2's
i've had the fortunate to get up close and personal etc.
Now, atm i don't have sound on my pc, so can't follow the dialogue.
Edit, where are the casting numbers on the steeringrack in the immediate seconds following the 2.22 ?
Without sound all i can use is my eyes, if it is the real deal, it's certainly had some changes over the years.

Last edited:

Keith

Commentary says it's the 1966 Miles/Ruby Daytona 24 hour winner and 1966 Le Mans 2nd placed car of Miles/Hulme. He also calls it a "GT40" but later on he refers to it as a MKII.

427 Side Oiler
Kar Kraft gearbox

Which is this car:

Le Mans 1966 2nd Place car Miles/Hulme (Same livery as video)

So, that leaves us... where? :shrug:

I think Keith is right. Looks like #1015 Miles/Hulme. Saw this car in Seattle 2010. I believe at that time owned by Larry Miller (Miller Motorsports Park, Utah). T-44 gearbox, correct brake calipers, and rear rollbar. Definitely not an SPF. There may have been changes over the years if you read Spain's record. I'll have to differ with Charlie on the inner CV's. Have seen those in period photos of at least one MkII. See Spain's book P.85.
As an aside Larry Miller is now deceased and the racetrack is closing this year.
See #1015 in the Miller museum here:
http://www.millermotorsportspark.com/larry-h-miller-total-performance-museum.html

Last edited:
Back