GT40 Rallysprint

So, all was going well at the July McRae Rallysprint until I threw it into the gate on the last corner. Damp day and trying to beat all the 4WD rally cars leaves less margin for error than I allowed for!

Don't try this at home...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9T3D--OWf0

Turns out that DRB bodies are surprisingly tough. Decent tear in the rear guard is the worst of it. Though driver's door and rearwards needs paint as well, which is the expensive part seeing as I can't paint. After the incident we gave it a quick check over and went out for the final run, getting 2nd quickest time of all cars for the day! Driving angry has its benefits it seems!

So now I'm learning how to fix fibreglass! Rubbing's racing is a fun saying until you have to deal with the outcome.

OUCH! Glad to see you and the passenger are ok. Hopefully not too painful to the wallet but congrats (I guess?) on your 2nd place. Nice to see someone out there pushing these cars and using them as they were intended.....racing! No damage to the chassis?

Julian,
You will quickly find that the repair is just another skill you pick up. Same goes for paint. I had never done either til I tore the rear clip up last year. There is nothing you can't learn on Youtube. For the fiberglass go to one of the boat channels. They lay it out pretty simply. Same goes for paint. check out the Eastwood channel with Kevin Tetz. He will teach you the A-Z of it all. You will find it is kinda fun(least I did). Your expenses should keep you under $600-700. That is a whopping lot less than a shop. Its just "time" that you invest.

Bill

Back