GT40 Course Car

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Associated with the cars taking part in the Concourse of Elegance in Edinburgh last weekend , there was an organised run up the Rest and Be Thankful in Argyll. I was asked to be Course Car for the event, which basically means that I got to put my lights and hazard warning flashers on and have a blast up the hill before anyone else - what's not to like about that:) So I then stood at the finish line and helped guide the entrants on from there. There were 78 cars listed for the run, from a 1904 Mercedes 60hp to a 2015 La Ferrari, including a Rolls Royce Silver Ghost, and Sir Jackie Stewarts Merc 300SL. Dario Franchitti and HRH Prince Michael of Kent were there too so it was an amazing experience. Got to chat with Sir Jackie and Paul Stewart too. After the run, we went on to Inverary castle where we parked in front of the castle.
While we were there, Sir Jackie's 300SL had developed a charging issue, so we ended up push starting it with instructions not to push on the aluminium boot lid -things like that don't happen every day do they !

After lunch we followed the cars on to Cameron House beside Loch Lomond where I parked my car on the grass alongside the 'real' ones hee hee.

I include a picture of the Mercedes 60hp because it made my heart skip a beat and also it had come from Germany , driven by two very game Fraulein in waxed trenchcoats, leather helmets and flying goggles.
Also a picture of the Ferrari as I found it gobsmackingly awesome. Put it this way, there was an F40 beside it which one did not notice.
Not many other cars in evidence, because we arrived early, had lunch at the castle while the entrants were on their way to Cameron House, and it all seemed disjointed with cars on the move all the time.

Photos
My car at the start.
Bill waiting for cars to arrive.
Team photo at the castle.
Team photo 2
Parked at Inverary castle.
Preparing to push Sir Jackies' car, Paul Stewart in driving seat (Bill with high vis, me bending to push).
Mercedes 60hp
Ferrari
Seaplane in background.

enjoy!
Dave

Attachments

• start.jpg
    start.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 298
  • Bill.jpg
    Bill.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 310
  • team1.jpg
    team1.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 325
  • team2.jpg
    team2.jpg
    267.6 KB · Views: 284
  • parked.jpg
    parked.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 242
  • push.jpg
    push.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 289
  • merc.jpg
    merc.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 250
  • Ferrari.jpg
    Ferrari.jpg
    276.3 KB · Views: 331
  • seaplane.jpg
    seaplane.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 289
Last edited:

Keith

What kind of Ferrari is that Dave? Sorry, oops just read your description.Great pics....although I would have liked a pic of the F40. Understated elegance...:)

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Thanks for that.
La F...pff, i prefer your 40 & that old time Ferrari next to it, any time.
Sounds like a great time.
Was that a 275 next to you ?

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Keith, apologies, I meant an Enzo, don't know why I said F40. Maybe I have a pic, can't access it now but I will try later.

Andrew, it looks like a 275, but seems to have the round indicator lights with the bumper overriders, which I don't see together on the web. I'll have a look at other pictures which might reveal more of the car.

Dave

Keith

No worries David - not a fan of the Enzo anyway but I love the Mazzer MC12. Go figure. A friend of mine owned one, got it home to his palatial pile in the Forest and he couldn't get it through his double gates!

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Andrew, although there was indeed a 275 present, this was a 1962 Ferrari 400 Superamerica Coupe. The only photo I have was with my cellphone, it seems a bit foggy but it turned out to be a cracked lens cover.
Now I suggest that you get a hanky out because you will drool when you look at the entry list:)

Dave

Attachments

• Ferrari 400.jpg
    Ferrari 400.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 224
  • List.jpg
    List.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 213

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Keith,unfortunately there was no F40 on the list, but comparing Enzo with LaFerrari;

Dave

Attachments

• enzo.jpg
    enzo.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 201
  • Ferrari.jpg
    Ferrari.jpg
    276.3 KB · Views: 189

Keith

Keith,unfortunately there was no F40 on the list, but comparing Enzo with LaFerrari;

Dave

Thanks David..It seems I now have a new least favourite Ferrari.

That La Feringi thing looks like Darth Vader's bathroom.

Would I have one? Of course! :drunk:

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Keith, lmao, I think you nailed it there. I knew that something in my subconcious made me step aside as it arrived at the top of the hill!

Back