I'll stick to my 4 barrel

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
JTkGjrq.jpg

LtSYI4N.jpg

niQ6NZR.jpg

If you look closely at the third/bottom pic you might notice a holley type electric pump and a holley type fuel pressure regulator, given the amount of fuel in the turkey pan makes you wonder what pressure etc they were running, likely more than Mr Weber would like. I remember having the regulator jam on one of my race cars once, fortunately while engine was cold, those holley pumps sure move a lot of fuel when panic sets in!!
Bet all those other cars moved in a hurry.

Fortunately, everything ended without too serious damage... Here is the same car, 3 days and 1000km later, at the end of the race Le Tour Auto 2016, on le Castellet track parking.

Well, it seems not so uncommon, one other of the 3 GT40s involved in this one week race has got some smoke under its rear clip too...:stunned: Burned oil more probably, as it was some quite greasy black dust.

And again, have a look on the hood of this 289 cobra in the same race, some serious heat that cooked the paint to the bare metal, just above the air cleaner !

Attachments

• 711741GT402.jpg
    711741GT402.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 364
  • 707917GT40blanche.jpg
    707917GT40blanche.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 358
  • 797901289chaud.jpg
    797901289chaud.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 366

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
May also have been a build up of fuel collected by the fuel reversion plate above the carbs.. Likely the car was moving at very low speed, if at all in that traffic.. Lumpy cam, poor airflow, it can all add up to catastrophe...

I had a similar situation. I was trying to start with the engine hot. One of the carbs spit back and lit. a small fireball in the rear view mirror is not a welcome site! The whole thing was very fast and more than a little surreal. Luckily I had just had a fire suppression system fitted and was able to put it out very quickly, before anything was damaged at all. The float levels were the issue. Ensuring that the carbs are properly setup before they are put on the car is a must. I have since had them fully setup and I am now just waiting the final couple of days to get the car back.

Attachments

• download_20160324_170328.jpg
    download_20160324_170328.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 271

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Glad it was not damaged. The white one looks like it got a little warm under there. Doesn't take much to toast wiring and soft parts. I really liked the idea of Webers and go back and forth on all the various pros and cons. I'll start with the carb and see if that's the end of it.

Fortunately, everything ended without too serious damage... Here is the same car, 3 days and 1000km later, at the end of the race Le Tour Auto 2016, on le Castellet track parking.

Well, it seems not so uncommon, one other of the 3 GT40s involved in this one week race has got some smoke under its rear clip too...:stunned: Burned oil more probably, as it was some quite greasy black dust.

And again, have a look on the hood of this 289 cobra in the same race, some serious heat that cooked the paint to the bare metal, just above the air cleaner !

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Damn lot of people standing around taking pictures and not helping extinguish that fire.

That was my 1st thought too...until it dawned on me they'd need to have their own fire extinguishers 'in hand' to do that...or mebbe a blanket or two to smother the darned thing.:uhoh: :sad:

I zoomed in on the 2nd photo and it looks like a fire system pull knob by the fuel pump. In that shot there is some fire extinguisher material sprayed onto the engine bay but the fire is not yet out. Wonder if it was from the handheld extinguisher the driver has or from the car mounted system? I have 2 nozzles pointed right at my webers just in case something like this occurs. This kind of makes me wonder if that is enough.

I zoomed in on the 2nd photo and it looks like a fire system pull knob by the fuel pump. In that shot there is some fire extinguisher material sprayed onto the engine bay but the fire is not yet out. Wonder if it was from the handheld extinguisher the driver has or from the car mounted system? I have 2 nozzles pointed right at my webers just in case something like this occurs. This kind of makes me wonder if that is enough.

I have two nozzles pointed directly at the carbs and one to the cabin (Dupont FE36). I had to use it once, since the carbs were not set up properly (completely wrong float levels). It spit back and ignited. I pulled the cord and it quickly dealt with the fire without any issues, thankfully!

Back