New AVONs Installed!

Steve

Supporter
What, no burnout? That's weak Gary.....

Just kidding! Great looking car, where did you get the stencils and what paint did you use?

With all the racing colors, roundels, Goodyear tags, and Koni stickers, have you considered going all the way and adding the adjustable rear spoiler with front canards? Brings it full circle...what do you think? Maybe front and rear lift hooks. They help get it on a tow truck if you ever need one. Looks great. Is this Guardsman Blue?

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
They look great. Now you have to make sure to don't drive over any small stones! I put 3M paint protection film on the underside lip of the bodywork above the tires, and it was a lifesaver after I switched from BF Goodrich to the AVONs.

They look great. Now you have to make sure to don't drive over any small stones!

Yea, seriously, how do you guys manage to drive with AVONs on the street?????

My 917 came with them and i made it about 1 mile and then stopped driving it because my tires were studded with stones and i was concerned that any more driving and a stone would puncture right through the tire.

Ultimately I ended up throwing on Countach tires (345/35-15) because I was convinced I would have a tire puncture within 5 or 10 miles.

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
Roger Kraus in Castro Valley CA will hand cut vintage style treads into the Avons, which makes them a bit more streetable from both water shedding and stone pickup.

You guys must have far better roads than we have up here in Canada ... if I made it more than 10 miles without getting a rock puncture I'd have been surprised.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
You guys must have far better roads than we have up here in Canada ... if I made it more than 10 miles without getting a rock puncture I'd have been surprised.

Alex,

I think you are referring to the AVON vintage tires, not the CR6ZZ tires which have a pretty stout casing and tread depth. The vintage race tires which are sometimes used by people who need the width are a much more fragile casing and have little tread depth.

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
I've found that painted stencils are only a temporary solution. Almost all paints I've tried over the years turn yellow and fade pretty quickly.

An alternative approach is to use vinyl stickers. Several companies produce them. You can order them for specific tires and in any font you want. I purchased some in Stencil font and when applied they look like they were painted on. But they'll look good for years. The company I used is www.tirestickers.com.

Dave...The concern I had with tiresticker.com was their AVON lettering is not the correct brand logo or at least their picture is not. Pete made the stencils which are 2 inch front and 2.5 inches rear. I used Krylon flat white for plastics for the paint. The fronts came out great but the rears I may need to redo as I couldn't find a space that was completely bare ie no lettering or numbers etc. Need to lightly grind off an area that gives me a complete bare area and re-shoot the rears. I think they probably will crack and yellow but that just looks a bit more vintage...

Gary in the day they just slapped them on , you maybe over thinking it.

When I do my next set I am going to try a very very pale blue , I recon when it fades it will go white.

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
Gary:

You're right that the image of the AVON sticker on their website is a more modern font. There is a way on the site to order whatever font you'd like, however. So I ordered mine in Stencil font, which I think looks period correct. Mine are 1.75" high. I think 1.5" would also look good. For a small additional charge, they'll also send you a rendering of the final product before they produce the stickers.

Here is a photo of my tire after I installed them. The lettering should look good as long as the tires last.

Attachments

• AVON 1.JPG
    AVON 1.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 326
Back