917 Replica

Since we're talking about other quality replicas (the Lola starts my mind thinking about irrational trades to have that too)...

How about this 917 replica from down under. Here's the web site http://www.kraftwerkz.net I have friends that saw the US car at Ventura and again in Texas. They said it was quite presentable and evidently performed well too. Seems resasonably priced considering it would be difficult to ever street. My wife already suspects that this car is why I didn't sell my best 911 motor and tranny.

Chuck Ward

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Graham Turner aka GTA has a 917 from these guys,originally called LMK I think.
Get in touch with him and ask him how he likes his car .
Graham will tell you straight what he likes and dislikes.
Damn fine looking car.....
GT40....T70 AND a 917 now thats a garage to aspire to..

Fran this board just gets better and better. Now I have a contact name who has experience with these replicas! That's fantastic. Fran seems to dream of the same ultimate garage as I do.

Thanks, Chuck

Chuck,

The guy in New York, whose car is featured on the website,

is named John Colasante. I'll try to dig up his contact

details, although it's been a long time since I spoke to

him via e-mail. Maybe he could help you realize your dream

garage.

Bill

EX-PORSCHE,

Although I'm an avowed GT40 lover, I've always liked the 917 and even considered getting one of the Laser 917's. It wasn't ready to take a V-8 though (except sideways). Thanks for the website info.

Have fun! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

John

917 was a take-no-prisoners machine that was extreme even among prototypes. Not an easy car to control. I particularly liked the oil routed to the coolers through the frame itself. I doubt any replica would have THAT feature...

The water and oil flow through chassis tubes in my P4 which is a 66.

Attachments

• 26987-May13132.jpg
    26987-May13132.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 478
Many race cars of that period ran oil through chassis tubes,including 917s; but not all. Chassis flex and cabin heat problems led to the Wyer/Gulf cars running seperate pipes for safety and this is what i,ve done with my 917.
Modern racing regulations, certainly in GB, do not allow any fluids to run through chassis members for obvious crash safety reasons even if they are run in seperate pipes within the chassis tube, so do be carefull if you are building your 40 with circuit racing in mind not to have your front to rear water pipes running through spaceframe members.
917s were designed and and built as a no nonsense, no frills speed machine. Their construction left no room for luxuries like padding or carpetting and GT40s are like a comfortable sofa compared to the 917.
If any of you are at the Autosport Show in January you will be able to see the lightweight construction of these beasts as mine is being displayed for the first time.It is being prepared for the 2004 Sports Racing and GT Series so you will have to accept that there is still much to be finished off but if any of you are keen enough and brave enough to race one i can quote and build you a God of all cars !!
Incedentally, the Lazer 917 bears about as much resemblance to a real 917 as a beetroot does to a Roll Royce !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A Happy Christmas and New Year to one and all,

Graham @ GTA Racing.

Jim,

That picture never fails to put a smile on my face.

A 917K Replica?! Cooool! I'm in the middle of a very ambitious car project (modern car, so not too exciting for you guys) but have tremendous interest in these 917K replicas. I would be sold on a Mk IV replica but haven't found anything worth pursuing, if anything at all. I've near depleted my car fun fund for the year but...a new year's around the corner! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm a quasi-Porsche guy (second favorite marque tied with the prancing horse) and short of worship the 917s. Awesome cars.

Cheers

Back