Le mans film, making-off

According to a 1974 article I have, Chassis No. 1027 was originally supplied to MGM as a camera car for the film Grand Prix. At some stage Jim Toensing acquired the car and set about fitting it with the more exotic engine he thought GT40's should have. So he purchased a four cam Indy 500 engine, substituted Lucas fuel injection for the Hilborn system, and fitted an exhaust system emanating from the centre of the engine vee. The near horizontal rear clip window (above the exhausts in this configuration, instead of above the intakes) was left out. It was running about 425 bhp, not extreme by today's standards.

Dalton

According to a 1974 article I have, Chassis No. 1027 was originally supplied to MGM as a camera car for the film Grand Prix. At some stage Jim Toensing acquired the car and set about fitting it with the more exotic engine he thought GT40's should have. So he purchased a four cam Indy 500 engine, substituted Lucas fuel injection for the Hilborn system, and fitted an exhaust system emanating from the centre of the engine vee. The near horizontal rear clip window (above the exhausts in this configuration, instead of above the intakes) was left out. It was running about 425 bhp, not extreme by today's standards.

Dalton

Dont u have any pics of it Dalton?

Thx

Graham,
don`t make me start blushing...

Attachments

• Bild1.jpg
    Bild1.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 454
good day,

David Piper told me that for the incredible accident (radio controlled) in the movie a T70 was used with a 917 body.

Dominik

Back