McLaren M8 B look alike

:pepper:Thought I would drop in some pictures of my project which was started 3 years ago. Basicly its a fairly close visual copy of the Denny Hulme #5 1970 Can AM car built on a tube chassis of my own design. It`s running a Rover V8 via an Audi Transaxle and 4 Twin choke downdrafts for the right sound. All the body work is complet, painted and the car is being asembled for the final time so its good fun to bolt in the shiny bits. I have yet to build the motor and that will be the final task. A good friend of mine has done all the graphics to the origional so the car should look the part and make the right noise.

Another try

Attachments

• Chassis assembly 3.8.2007 001.jpg
    Chassis assembly 3.8.2007 001.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 2,785
  • Chassis skined 001.jpg
    Chassis skined 001.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 2,822
  • the paint job 005.jpg
    the paint job 005.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 2,565
Sorry to disapoint you but I have gone conservitive with a Rover / Buick 3500 V8, Cam and 4 twin choke down drafts just so that it will make the right noise. I should have about 240 / 250 hp in 650kg (1300lb) of car thru an Audi 013 transaxle, That means it has the same power to weight as my brothers Viper. 500hp to 2700lb and thats enough.

Spectacular work, Russell.

What front uprights and upper ball joint (Ford Transit TRE?) are you using?

Thanks, and please post some more pictures!

Sorry can not remember but the 555 brand box has these part numbers se-1441 or 8ABI32-280 or BF3P 84 OUT. As you can see in the photo, I have had turned up new hubs to take the WILWWOD dics and change the off set to improve the scrub radius. The calipers will bolt on via an adaptor plate in the standard mount position.
The stub axel / upright is MK 4 Cortina and the bottom ball is I thing Triumph.

Attachments

• Front hubs 003.jpg
    Front hubs 003.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 2,082
  • Front hubs 002.jpg
    Front hubs 002.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 1,888
nice one russ, has saved me the trip over to see , but will get there anyway. regards steve.
ps i see what youve done with the hubs too.

Hi Russel,

Excellent choice to replicate. Are you going all the way and building the high wing as well?

Excellent!

I will make up a low wing version just for looks but don`t think I would run it on the track as it would mean wing on/off to get motor access due to my body work.
Cheers

Hi, i live in melbourne and i am also starting a build in the next couple of months on the exact same car. I have the 1/18 scale no. 4 car for reference and got on the internet to try and find as much info as possible before i get into it. I like what you have done so far. Have you any detailed drawings or any helpfull info?
I am coming down to n.z at the end of the year would be great to have a sticky beak.

Hi Aussie mate, You would be most welcome to come and have a stickybeak. I do not have any plans or drawings as most of that is irrelivant with the tube chassis ect. I do have loads of photos etc and used the model to give me the basics of where the wheels went, along with basic dimension details. There is also a chap by the Name of Duncan Fox who is probally the worlds for most Mclaren restorer and knowledge pool. He has had all 3 M8B`s thru his shop in Howick. I can put you in contact with him if thats any help. Our other contact in NZ is the Mclaren Trust but to be fair they are not interested in any form of replica. There is also an M12 localy that we could look at. Are you going to build an aluminium fabrication or tube chassis. For my body work, I used a copy from a car that was made in 1971 in NZ called the GEMCO special which was modeled on the M8B. The only bits left were the nose and tail mould and both were in a bad way. To be honest with all the work I put in to correct the mistakes and make new moulds for the doors and lower body side pods etc. I wish I had made my own moulds. My email address is [email protected] should you wish to get in touch. I am sure I can help you make the journey easier

Thanks russell, i am looking at building a monocoque alloy tub. I have built a lotus 7 clubman in the past. And there was a company selling them with an alloy tub rather than a spaceframe. Should work out very strong with light weight. I want to build it as close to original as possible. Except for motor and box at this stage. I will get my girlfriend to send you an email as mine doesn't work. Is the original body made of glass? I live 10 minutes from sandown raceway, and there is a hillclimb track about 30 minutes away so i am hoping to enjoy racing it as soon as it's finished. Look forward to seeing more of yours. Have you seen Dick bears mcbearen?? It's at MetalMeet - for Metalshaping Enthusiasts & Professional Metalshapers He has done an alloy body version with an honda motor.

Back