PICT3398.jpg

PICT3399.jpg

TOM

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
The Billet Chubby is in full mast position!!!!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

You get the idea how small the car is. I remember as a kid looking at magazines, they (and gt40s) looked enormous. Nice close up photos as well. Bravo!

Great photos. What chassis number is this? the big square-ish air vent on the drivers side is very unusual. Wyer was known to have made several modifications on 917s, this I have not seen before

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
I really like the way you took the pictures. You took some great shots of the whole car, and then went into details for people who are building their own version of the car. They can just look at these pictures and see where what goes and how they did this or that on the original. Very nice job Tom!!!

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Take note of something here gents....

Look over the welding on all of the bars, struts and support structure for the rear bodywork...

Not very pretty is it?

If you were building a spot-on replica and someone were to have delivered to you a pile of work like this for your 917 show car, you'd likely sneer in disgust at the shoddy welding and just generally poor overall look.. You may even tell the weldor to take it back and do it "right"..

While reviewing some of the other pictures I've seen (as best I could tell under magnification) in the past - the other "original" cars appeared to have been welded by the same person..

What does this tell you?

It confirms for me that these cars, like most of the day, were not built for close-up scrutiny in purity of engineering execution. That purity was saved for the parts of the cars that really mattered..

These cars were built to win races and they were disposable..
Or Function over Form..

The same holds true for literally every other car I have examined closely..

Tom - had it not been for these pictures, my previous observations would have remained in question. Thank you again!

Great photos. What chassis number is this? the big square-ish air vent on the drivers side is very unusual. Wyer was known to have made several modifications on 917s, this I have not seen before

Chassis is number 917-015 (035). Chassis was re-framed for the 1971 season using frame 035. The square-ish air vent was modified on the chassis for the Watkins Glen 6 hours race when the chassis was raced by Derek Bell / Richard Attwood to 3rd place. Following the chassis return to Weissach, the chassis was painted in Dayglo Organe and was nick named the "Weissach Taxi". The car was used to take VIP's around the Weissach Test Track. It was painted back to Gulf/JWA livery in the 90's. Paint Livery is correct except for the rear bodywork fences which should be blue and the incorrect tyres (Should be Firestone not Dunlop)

917historian

Back