Notices

Wings, Wheels, and Keels Assorted discussions and build projects

Old 29th November 2016, 12:10 AM   #601
leonmac
8 Tenths
New Zealand

GT40: M20 replica
Re: McLaren replica build base on a Manta

The uprights look good Terry, Will be interested in the improvement to the handling. Bit of a bugger about the fans but lucky it didn't do serious damage to the radiator.
Cheers Leon
leonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2017, 03:02 PM   #602
hummer
Canada

GT40: non

Pretty quiet here too bad it was interesting
hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2017, 05:39 PM   #603
blueovalz
Skinny Man
United States

GT40: An orange car

Sorry about that David. So many other more interesting projects than mine, I sort of forgot about any other postings.

So, I looked at where I left off, and here is what I've done in the mean time:

Returned back to the C4 uprights because trammeling problems required more time/testing than I had, being a track day was the next week up. Changes to the C4 setup though included the swap of the OEM length upper ball joint to a .5" extended shaft ball joint, which improved the camber gain more than I expected. That, and the taller rear uprights added about 4 mph to the track out speed, with a much improved stability in the turns, and less static camber (delayed braking now), cut my lap times down to where I was never passed, and could almost pass at will. Some of the more expensive cars were running more HP than I was, and the straights were pretty even on acceleration, but the corners were where I really did the damage to those competing against me.

Aesthetics wise, I had the roll hoop powder coated in a chrome appearance. Was extremely surprised in the outcome. Initially I was very skeptical, so I had the new lower front control arms done just to get an idea of what to expect, and was quite surprised. If I had to place a value on it from 0 to 10 on a scale of its appearance matching chrome, I'd have to give it an 8. Even the most glossy deepest polished aluminum gray powder coating that some us would rate a 4 or 5, so that's how much better this product was. The problem found later was that it is not robust against UV, so a clear-coat was recommended, which I chose not to do simply to see how robust the raw coating was. Have has some issues with it, but feel the product is a good substitute for those that can't nickel plate theirs, but want an economical alternative.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by blueovalz; 16th June 2017 at 06:04 PM.
blueovalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2017, 06:28 PM   #604
jd3
A Tenth
United States

GT40: SPF Mk.1

Hi Terry,

I have a chassis with early C4 front uprights and 15" diameter wheels. Where did you buy the 0.5" extended length ball joints? And do you reckon that these extended ball joints would necessitate a larger diameter wheel to clear? (Sorry, I don't remember offhand what size front wheels you are running).

Jack
jd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2017, 07:20 PM   #605
blueovalz
Skinny Man
United States

I purchased these from Speedway motors (AFCO 20032-2LF). They fit behind a 16" wheel, but the key here is the offset of the wheel. Mine are offset inward quite a bit (6" BS), and ball-joint flange still has about 1/2" left (radially) before contact with the wheel shell just at the bead bend. The real restriction with using the C4 uprights is the lower ball joint. That one comes a lot closer, and is actually wholly inside the wheel shell, so if the wheel fits over that restriction, the upper ball-joint (on these early C4 uprights) won't be a problem. BTW, I'm using 16" wheels. I don't believe a 15" will fit over the lower ball-joint, even with the grease fitting removed (but it's a tough call without measuring it, and not knowing the variations of wheel designs on their shells). If you've got 15" on your C4 uprights, you should be fine with the extended ball-joints.

Important note: This ball-joint had the proper 10 degree taper, but the threaded stud was slightly larger in diameter than the OEM ball-joint was. Thus I had to drill the taper out larger with a (I think...7/16" bit), and then dress it a bit with a taper bit to open it up just slightly so that the extended ball joint could fully utilize the ball-joint's steel tapered stud, and provide proper nut spacing for the safety clip. Nothing major, but the results were worth it if you're not getting enough camber gain. Remember, the bump steer changes when you do this depending on the set-up you have, and may need to be re-adjusted.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by blueovalz; 16th June 2017 at 07:27 PM.
Old 16th June 2017, 08:05 PM   #606
jd3
A Tenth
United States

GT40: SPF Mk.1

Thanks for the detailed reply, Terry. I bought the chassis already done, and as you said, there isn't much room around the C4 upright inside the wheel.
I'll double check the upper ball joint clearance before I order, but I'm glad to know the extended ball joints should fit my front wheels.

Jack
jd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2017, 10:21 PM   #607
blueovalz
Skinny Man
United States

And what I did was order one, saw it would work, and then ordered the other. Plus, you've got some margin on the tapered hole. By using the taper bit, you can move that pin further down into the aluminum with a small amount of material removal (but don't remove too much).