Track photos from Monterey Historics - Gulf 917

BigB98

CURRENTLY BANNED
I was fortunate enough to have a press pass and got some nice 917 shots. Enjoy! Still sorting through a bunch of other pics which include one or two different 917's.

IMG_1489.JPG

IMG_2270.JPG

IMG_22691.JPG

IMG_22681.JPG

IMG_22671.JPG

IMG_2249.JPG

Malcolm

Supporter
For a big wide car, the driver does loook a little squashed up in there! That is a track that is on my wish list to drive one day.

My first time seeing or hearing these cars in person. They are short, little and wide, really really impressive, cool looking and sounding cars. To see them rolling along under power makes all the difference. Nice pics. That 25 car has some odd looking rear flares, different from all the rest of them. I thought the yellow "Piper" car was the best turned out, I'll try and shrink some of my pics and post when I get time. The tooth-pick like bare chassis on display clearly shows the pedals in front of the front tires (ouch).

Malcolm - My girl wanted to go ride the track on bicycles, they open the track one evening a month for that activity. Although it was interesting to be able stop and absorb all the history out there..... I can tell you it's whole lot more fun on a race MOTOR-bike :D

BigB98

CURRENTLY BANNED
Good shots! Now get back in the garage and finish the Mk IV!

You are definately right about me needing to get back into the garage! Have been going and going for the last couple of months with little time to spend on it. :(

Pete K.

GT40s Supporter
Thanks for sharing... I wish I could have made it out to the historics this year but scheduling just wouldn't work.

How did you get a press pass????

That 917 just doesn't sit like a RCR917 does.

Whoa, where'd all these worms come from? Great shots, thanks for posting them.

I sat here comparing Fran's car to that first photo, and it does look like there is a difference between them, though its hard to tell since the angles the photos where taken at are close, but not exact. The real car looks like it was shot through a telephoto lens which could cause some distortion of the picture. That said, its obvious that Frans car is riding higher, those real cars must be running lower than 2". The other thing that is hard to tell is that the cockpit roofline on Frans car car looks a little taller, but that could just be the angle of the camera. I have always thought that the 917 is a really beautiful car, except when the picture is taken with the camera lower than the roofline. I think its just an un-natural angle since most humans are not 3' tall. Lastly, those real cars look like they had the rear flaired out to accept tires that are greater than 15" wide...
Anyway, stunning pictures.

I think RCR 917 body lines are accurate, I compared it to David Pipers and other non flared out in the back 917 and it does look the same, even the same naca ducts without the extra ones. Also not two 917 are the same, even in this thread the first 917 has the front tyres sticking out more and the car is obviously sitting higher, looked at the rear tyres and compare it with the other 917 pictures below from the original poster.

Here are a few more, sorry to deviate from subject,

Attachments

• white917.jpg
    white917.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 383
  • piper 917.jpg
    piper 917.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 402
I would love to know how you got a press pass, as well. I was at Monterrey and it was an incredible event. I doubt that I will ever get to see so many 917's on the track at one time again.

Simply too much fun...

Erik Johnson
GBox Sales Manager
(303) 440-8899 work

BigB98

CURRENTLY BANNED
I think it's mostly perspective, guys...Keep in mind, you're seeing most of those pictures with the car from the outside of a turn with lots of load on the side you're seeing. Here's a different angle that shows PLENTY of ground clearance if you ask me.

Attachments

• IMG_22462.jpg
    IMG_22462.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 305
Brent don't you use a tripod? It would seem to me that you would need to have a really steady hand to shoot with that lens. Or does the auto stablizer take care of everything.

BigB98

CURRENTLY BANNED
Brent don't you use a tripod? It would seem to me that you would need to have a really steady hand to shoot with that lens. Or does the auto stablizer take care of everything.

Mostly outdoor work the shutter speed is sufficient enough to not need a tripod. I did a lot of handheld shots (not even leaning on the wall) without stabalizer on because there's plenty of light...especially with a 2.8 lens. The monopod is a lot more flexible for moving objects. I did have a tripod with me for shooting video however.

Modern cameras are amazing things, apparently. But at least some of the time he's using a monopod, as you can see in one of the photos above. :D

BTW the #12 Porsche 917 is all original, with original paint and patina, and is owned/driven by Chris McAllister, who also owns GT40 P/1051. Lucky boy, he is!

Last edited by a moderator:
HelloBigB 98,
Would you send me your first photo of 917 K from Monterey in higher resolution format, I would like to print it out for my collection of 917 pictures?

Thanks and regards

Petr

[email protected]

Back