Rear wing?

I think if you can build it yourself it would be more cost effective.
When I raced winged sprint cars I was able to build my own.
For me it was the way to go.
And not to difficult to do.

Cheer's !

If you have a idea of what you want the job of making the internal structure is just a hammerform away.The narrower wings like these are quite easy to build. ( Compared to a 5x5 sprint car wing).

Andrew
Talk about a mirror image of thoughts, I need to make one for my Replica M8B and as I am only going to have the wing for display so construction can be exactly the same as building a model aeroplane wing. Cut out a bunch of `ribs`from ply wood all to the same patern, bore a pair of holes for some aly tube to form the back bones and then either cover it in thin alloy or similar and hey presto. Make two of the ribs with a bottom mount tab and attache to an alloy upright and fit to car. 1700mm wide by 625mm front to back appears to be about the size and the shape is quite simple.
Cheers
Russell

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Polystyrene foam

Go down to abuilders merchants as they use it for insulation

Make up 2 rib templates and mark numbers around them at the same spots

put rib templates on either end of the length of polystyrene

Make up a tight wire (Thin fuse wire is good) and tension it to ensure it does not bow
Connect either end to a car type battery (you may need resistors etc) and the wire gets hot

Slide the hot wire through the polystytene with the help of a buddy making sure you both get to the same spots on the template at the same time

The hot wire leaves the polystyrene surface reasonable but normally a quick sand is good.

Then go to your model store and ask for shrink film (In Africe it was branded Solar Film) This stuff sticks like anything and you then attach to your buck of polystyrene. Then using your Mrs best hairdryer heat the solarfilm and it tightens as it cools.

The film comes in a good selection of colours and anything up to mirror finish.

It's how I assisted my brother on numerous occasions when he made model aircraft.

Ian

The wing is finished - ended up using at outfit here in NZ.

Racing Car Wings | Drag Car Wings | Carbon Fiber | RiversCarbon

Had them make up some period style end-plates and put these on a standard design they had which was 1500mm x 300mm. NZD $1100.

andrewrobertson-albums-mclaren-m1c-replica-build-photos-picture695-picture-038.jpg

I'll post future pics with it mounted.

Cheers, Andrew

Andrew, looks like very nice workmanship.

If it doesn't work out, then you can always try DIY.

Attachments

• really-bad wing.jpg
    really-bad wing.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 321
Back