M 8´s ?

Hi all,

recently dived a bit more into CAN AM History and wondered if there are more detailed informations available for McLaren´s M8´s.
For example are there chassis drawing of the monocoques around and available or is this the same sick thing as with the GT40´s ?
Would like to see more detailed suspension pics. Can anyone point me to more information ?
Are there body´s available or who has the moulds ?

THanks

TOM

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
I've not seen or heard of any, but I'm sure they are out there. There have been some that have replicated the monocoque tub, but at a high cost. It seems most of the interest in an aftermarket McLaren rebuild is for the M6GT rather than the M8a,b,c,d,or f.

Ox

Terry,

For shure they are out there, but where. A mate of mine owns a Manta 6GT on a VW platform´, but i like the look of the CAN AM Spiders much more.
ToneyM12CK10b.jpg

I´m not wondering about the chassis too much, because an RCR chassis would be a perfect fit and is stiff as hell (and is a alu monocoque as well).

After searching a bit more a M12 like the pictured are my favorite body design. It is not as bulky as the M8´s and has nicer flowing curves. Any ideas where to get a body ?
attachment.php

RUss, if the shit is just only about the name, so what ? THe question is if there are mored detailed information available ( read : not only available out there, but also accesible) as compared to the GT40 .

THanks
TOM

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
RUss, if the shit is just only about the name, so what ? THe question is if there are mored detailed information available ( read : not only available out there, but also accesible) as compared to the GT40 .

THanks
TOM

Tom, I wouldn't mind betting that McLarens will be the only ones with plans. I wouldn't see a polite request for a copy being particularly well received. I could be wrong on both counts though.

You could always phone the McLaren Trust and see how you get on.....00649 522 8224. They would know too if there were any other plans out there, not that the'd be likely to tell you if there were....But I could be wrong about that too!

Don't forget to report back......

Edit. Sorry Tom, I hate being negative. On a more positive note, your best bet for authentic moulds would be from present or past owners of which ever model you desire. M12? Somewhere in their racing life they may have had moulds taken off their existing bodies and spare bodies made 'just in case'.

Mind you thats the hard up kiwi way. The megabuck racers (you've got to be one to own one!) in the rest of the world probably wouldn't bother with mucking around like that and just airfreight out complete bodies from McLarens when needed.

Last edited:
If your sure the RCR chassis is up to the job, why dont you just build your own buck, plenty of scale drawings of the body out there on the web, few of sheets of MDF & about three of HD Styro house cladding, some epoxy & f/glass cloth....be done before you know it...:)

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
There are some folks on the mantacars.com forum that are more knowledgable about the aftermarket options for the McLaren variations, but again, 90% of it is for the GT.

Personally, I like the M8 variations better than the M6 in regards to fun factor, but the canopy has its attributes.

Not the most desirable way to go about it, but I'm using the Manta Mirage body, and then extensively modifying it to resemble the M8B. It humors me to some degree when I started this project in that I felt the Mirage body was a lot closer to the M8's shape than it really is. To do this job right, I may need to reassess my thoughts about making a whole new body, or finding an old original. I've built my own fiberglass body in the past, but decided the cut-and-modify method will reduce the time to finish and reduce the amount of mess. Unfortunately, the more I look at what I've got, the more I see that nearly every surface on the Mirage needs some reshaping to make it "right".

I have scanned a brand new original M8F monocoque a few month ago and we have build the CAD files for the original uprights. I have also access to an original car to get all parts including original M8F bodies.

I just like the car and if there is spare time I progress the CAD design but due to the limited market interest its really more a private passion to build one. The tricky bit is the LG 500 gearbox which is hard to find and quite expensive.

I was thinking of building the monocoque according to original specs but its really an expensive race car design. One option which I find interesting is to go for a steel frame with the AL panels blind riveted which much more economic.

Wolf

Hallo Wolf

As you are very close to me and we already had discussed to meet each other one year ago, i think it is time to meet this summer. May be as soon the 40 is on the raod, i will give you a call

TOM

Hi Tom,

more than happy to meet. Will be good fun for sure. I have seen your excellent work and would keen to see your great car in reality. I have a few things in the making too.......Jut give me a call. My mobile is on the LMP website.

Wolf

Back