72 Ford Torino BB

Ron Earp

Admin
Guys, do any of you know of a painting application that lets you take a picture and paint a car different colors? Or know of a way to do this? I've got my Torino in the garage and getting ready to prep it for body and paint work. But, I have not selected a color. What I'd like to do is take a picture like this and try out different colors on it. Ideas?

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 807

Keith

Guys, do any of you know of a painting application that lets you take a picture and paint a car different colors? Or know of a way to do this? I've got my Torino in the garage and getting ready to prep it for body and paint work. But, I have not selected a color. What I'd like to do is take a picture like this and try out different colors on it. Ideas?

Taking a leaf out of your GTM colleague's book, why not visit the Home Depot Race Paint Shop for a Colour Swatch? :drunk:

Then drive back FLAT OUT... :)

But whatever you do, please don't paint it red with a white flash :stunned:

Dave Wood

Lifetime Supporter
I know that House of Color has one. I am sure there are others, the House of Color version includes a bunch of cars in it so you can "paint" several types of vehicles. I have considered one for the shop, but the cost versus usage doesn't seem acceptable. It may be something that you and a few others may want to purchase and "rent" it to others that are wanting to paint there vehicles.
I haven't looked into it in recent months, but I wouldn't be surprised if most major paint companies don't have a similar product.

Ron Earp

Admin
Torino coming apart over here boss.

Got after it this morning in the garage. Body remove from frame, interior out, and a few other things.

Attachments

• torinosyd1.jpg
    torinosyd1.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 591
  • torinosyd2.jpg
    torinosyd2.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 544
  • torino3.jpg
    torino3.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 734
  • torino4.jpg
    torino4.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 540

Ron Earp

Admin
And a bit more work done yesterday and this morning. The front dress brackets and accessories showed up so I passed a bit of the time this morning bolting those together. Rear axle is out from under the car and we plan to take everything else off the frame and get to blasting on it tomorrow. With any luck I hope to have all the new bushings in, all the bits painted, and the frame assembled on Sunday night. We shall see.

Paint man coming to the house tomorrow to have a look at the body and all the body panels. Still haven't decided on a color but I'm circling a few.

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 454
  • rear.jpg
    rear.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 453
  • inside.jpg
    inside.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 410

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
Vinyl will be gone.

Car is completely disassembled! Maybe 24 hours of work....16 by Ron, 8 by me. Putting it back together will certainly be more work, but damn, this was not hard.

The frame is completely stripped of the entire suspension, lines, etc., and ready for blasting and POR15, and then new lines and new suspension pieces.

With no deadline on this, this is actually a lot of fun. WAY different from thrasing to get a race car ready for a race weekend....

With no deadline on this, this is actually a lot of fun. WAY different from thrasing to get a race car ready for a race weekend....

Isnt there a MOPAR vs FORD undercurrent in this project, or is the MOPAR owner hedging his bets until this toy is up & running again!!:)

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
Regardless of the outcome of this project, the Mopar will remain classier, better styled, better engineered, better designed and better driven.

The Ferd may have a (temporary) advantage in power......

Ron Earp

Admin
Isnt there a MOPAR vs FORD undercurrent in this project, or is the MOPAR owner hedging his bets until this toy is up & running again!!:)

What was that term you used, "chocolate fish"? Yes, the MOPAR owner will produce them once the power of the Ford is felt.

Looking through some old Torino literature on the Torino sites and keep running across the term "mid-size" car. Which I realize it was, but jeez, nothing "mid-size" about this beast. The "full-size" car is built on the same frame etc, they just make it have four doors.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
What was that term you used, "chocolate fish"? Yes, the MOPAR owner will produce them once the power of the Ford is felt.

Looking through some old Torino literature on the Torino sites and keep running across the term "mid-size" car. Which I realize it was, but jeez, nothing "mid-size" about this beast. The "full-size" car is built on the same frame etc, they just make it have four doors.

Not really, Ron. The Torino had two frames/wheelbases, one for "Tudors" and one for "Fordors" (love those Ford terms) The "Full Size" cars (Galaxie/LTD) were on 121" wheelbases and no suspension parts interchanged. The Torinos were on 112" amd 116" wheelsbases if my memory is correct (too lazy to google it right now) but I sold a LOT of both of those beasts! And the Mecury big cars were on 124" wheelbases!

Ron Earp

Admin
Not really, Ron. The Torino had two frames/wheelbases, one for "Tudors" and one for "Fordors" (love those Ford terms) The "Full Size" cars (Galaxie/LTD) were on 121" wheelbases and no suspension parts interchanged. The Torinos were on 112" amd 116" wheelsbases if my memory is correct (too lazy to google it right now) but I sold a LOT of both of those beasts! And the Mecury big cars were on 124" wheelbases!

Sorry, I don't mean to imply all the Fords are on one platform, just that the myriad of Torino cars which had, to the onlooker, a varity of sizes due to the various bodies, roofs, wagon versions, etc. There are "small" Torinos and "big" Torinos but nothing small about either version.

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
Is that true? The Mopars all definitely had different chassis although it was generally teh case that there was a four door and two door version of each of the chassis designations:

B-Body: Dodge Charger/Coronet, and Plymouth Fury/Road Runner
C-Body: Dodge Monaco, Chrsyler Newport
A-Body: Dodge Dart, Plymouth Valiant

E-Bodies only had two doors though (Challenger/Cuda) although little known fact -- the body panels are not transferrable and the Cuda was 2" shorter. Crazy!

aaaaaannnk! The Plymouth Fury was the big sled like the Newport, Monaco, & Chrysler 300 series...........................( and I'am a Furd guy)........

Back