What should I get?

Thinking of buying a reasonable low budget old timer.

I am thinking:
- Jaguar XJC
- BMW E9, 3.0 CS
- Alfa Romeo Junior/GTA/GTV

What do you think?
Tips, recommendations, what to look for etc. are realy appreciated!

Geert-Jan

The alfa stuff is all good. Parts are often very reasonable as most of the alfas of the 60's and 70's used a lot of common parts across the model range so there's lots of availability.

The alfa enthusiast crowd is also real friendly and down to earth. And, they have good track days if you ever want to give that a whirl. An old GTV can be tricked out and made to go quite fast for a reasonable cost.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Alfa....had a 1968 1300 GT Junior stepfront and loved it....revved hard and sounded great...

Gotta say the CS is a beauty though.

I have a 1965 Mk2 Jag with some user friendly updates and its also a really nice car....little sedate though but I can carry both the kids at once...kind of tough in an SL-C....

The Jag's suspension is unmatched by others, enjoy the ride. The trans is basic G.M. as are the a/c components. Jag just came out with an up-dated prototype design study car last week that resembles the XJ-C, so watch the $ go up on the old ones..............my .02 $ worth..........:thumbsup:

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Doc,

I'm going with the Alfa, I had a 67 GTV step front as well. What a beautiful car!

Maroon with tan interior, I sure with I still had it!

Plus you will get good at changing head gaskets.

Graham,
Poor Mans Ferrarri. There are a few over here and the prices are resonable. Aluminum body. Most of the Alfa's and Fiat's here never held up that well. Even my 75 Lancia Beta Coupe needed body work after me owning it for three years. Always stored in the winter. I bought it used in 78 and sold it in 82 for almost what I paid for it. It was very tweeked out. I guess you could say I was a tuner back then.
Dave

Thanks guys!
At the moment I am leaning towards the Jag, but ........ My mind changed many times over and over again.
I'll keep you posted.

Howard Jones

Supporter
One of these.

Attachments

• 1293583773la.jpg
    1293583773la.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 217

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
I remember reading years ago, that the GT Junior was the father of the first Mustang design.

As I recall, the Alfa was first shown at a 1962 auto show. The story goes that Ford (and everyone else) was so taken by the design................long hood, very short rear deck, headlights framing the grill and a concave rear with squared off tail lights, that they used that as the basis for their new car.....the Mustang!

Last edited:
I found this
jag%20links.jpeg

jagvoorkant.jpeg

jaglinksvoor.jpeg

I sort of bought it ;-)

It's a XJC Broadspeed replica with the 4.2 inline 6.
Not the V12, but I'm happy it's not. They are hard to work on, and the inline 6 is a very reliable and proven engine which is well matched with the V12 performance wise.

I'm not sure about the colour though. I know it's the original colour scheme, but.......
I think in the future I might change it to a mono tone British Racing green, or some kind blue....

http://veoh-232.vo.llnwd.net/Vprevi...5000&rs=90&h=566254b63bb99f1dcd0784622b8f17e2

Last edited:
Go for the Jag but get the V12
Everone needs to own a V12 at least once in their life

I owned a new XKE V12 back in the day .....for a period of 15 days. Eight days were spent at the dealers fixing fuel leaks on the exhaust manifolds and trying to figure why if just quit running in the middle of Ft. Bragg. That was my one

Back