Indy Car Build "The Stewart Warner Special"

I tried to find my original post on this project, but could not.
I have beenwworking on Panteras and GT40's and my Indy Car was just laying there, I was falling into a state of depression all projects seemd to go on for ever and the sands of time were running out for yours truly.
So I shunted the other wrecks to the side and started putting my Indy car back together.
This is a license built, modified, copy of a Lotus 29 Indy car. 2 of these cars were built in 1967 by Alcraft, a Michigan based company, for Carroll Horton. At the same time they rebuilt a wrecked Lotus 29 that Bobby Marshman had crashed at Pheonix.
The car was designed around the new 4 cam Ford Indy motor, used a 2 speed Colloti transaxle and carried 75 gallons of methanol.
It was very well designed and engineered and was one of the precursors of modern race cars.
I purchased the car as a roller and started tearing it down.
I was very fortunate and found a Dyno time only 4-Cam Ford, that only needs some cosmetic work (it is Gold plated and Black cherry, w/polished heads and block).
I rebuilt the hubs and suspension, calipers and M/cyls were overhauled with stainless pistons and bores, I have a 5 speed-0 ZF/ with external starter being rebuilt, just found the ZF bellhousing and a new flywheel for the engine.
A Quarter Master, "Master Hub" clutch is what is recommended and when the gearbox is done I will take the engine and trans to them.
Tub was stripped, floor was changed out, primed and sealed, wheels powder coated and new Hoosiers, This car has 16 ", 5 pin wheels and I cannot find 12.50 and 10.50 vintage Indy tires.
Lots of other stuff, new hard lines, new vintage Girling Brake hoses, lots of rod ends and hardware of all sorts, and of course a new, red leather, Lotus steering wheel, I exercised a little artistic license here, these cars had black wheels (an oversight, I am sure!).
Fortunately this car is modern enough that bolts, rod ends and the rest are still used today and easily available.
Last night we got the car back on it's wheels and my depression is gone!
Now I can get the interior done and some minor welding.
The next big step are the fuel cells, I have the old ones and some spares and am trying to figure out the best way to get replacements made.
Lots more but here is what it looks like now, once the fuel cells are finished I will rivet the top back on and have it painted.

Attachments

• PICT2289.JPG
    PICT2289.JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 504
  • PICT2290.JPG
    PICT2290.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 423
  • PICT2292.JPG
    PICT2292.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 507
  • PICT2296.JPG
    PICT2296.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 467
  • PICT2295.JPG
    PICT2295.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 519
David, If you click on threads started by you in your statistics, it comes up under the title of ' New race Car', back about 2008 IIRC

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Awesome David. The pics begs for a road trip to see it with my own eyes. See ya soon.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Beautiful, and not even finished!

Spent the week at the Rancho Bernardo Inn resort last week. Wished I could have come by to see your project. This week...Philadelphia...what a cultural shift!

Terry

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
David,

What a very cool project. I always though that was a classic design, I will follow your build closely.

Thanks Terry and Jim, Terry anytime you are in SoCal, give me a call, I am always ready to show off my projects!
Actually that goes for anybody on the forum, if you are going to be in San Diego let me know.
Veek, thanks for the tip on FFC, I will call them.
Dave

Dave, Goodwood Festival of Speed is featuring the Indy cars as its 100 year celebration. We have a 83 Eagle with turbo Cosworth this year, will you be there with Doreen ? Frank

Hi, that is the original thread, I could not find it to attach this thread, maybe Ron can put them together.
Frank, I think that I will be at Goodwood this year but not with Doreen (Frank really liked Doreen!), probably with my new crew chief, Audre'.
Looking forward to seeing again.
Dave

Back