My Sister has been Moving House

Keith

Seriously, this is where she lives......all 70' feet of it...

It's a narrow old world out there...and I don't fit! :stunned:

Wildlock2_zps7c96aef8.jpg

I prefer them a bit beamier... :) (and shorter - only 32' for me)

RumRunnerLYH1_zpse626fc51.jpg

I like 'em both! Been contemplating throwing an old style shanty boat together and moor her up the river for weekends, etc.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Thats amazing Keith.. Any more pictures of these boats?

Hi Keith,

It looks restored ? I see quite a few narrow boats on the Basingstoke canal while walking the dog but not many as nice as that one.

Martin

Keith

Hey guys, thanks for the comments. The boat was built from new last year at a cost of £160,000. The design is called "traditional" as that is what my sister wanted. The interior is bespoke. Here's a couple more shots...

WildLock1_zps663422c4.jpg

SANY0016_zpsc3303adc.jpg

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
What a beautiful craft... I presume that it does not go into open waters or if so, not far..
I love the woodwork in the galley!

Keith

Some have made it across the channel but it is risky. They are built for British narrow canal system a thousand mile network that predates the railways and helped to fuel the industrial revolution. Falling into disrepair after WWII the network has been largely restored with the help of thousands of volunteers and it is now possible to enter the system in London and emerge near Scotland...

It is a laid back unique lifestyle that is growing exponentially in popularity.

What a great way of life. Has your sister lived on the water long? I wouldn't mind that lifestyle myself in a few years' time.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
What powers these boats.. Good info / news on the canal systems!

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Randy
There are numerous companies over here that rent these out for a week or longer and you get to see so much country at a very leisurely pace. Google will turn them up

Moor up near a pub and have an evening meal and a few drinks and not worry about getting home!

Ian

Keith

There are many many different types, makes and models. But if you are a true enthusiast, it has to be one of these a National:

Original from the 1930's..

Restored National DM2 - YouTube

They will happily run on used engine oil and are engineering masterpieces that will run for many many years.

A company called Russell Newbery will build you one now for around £16,000.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Q2jdanJkYg"]Starting a Russell Newbery - YouTube[/ame]

Similar engines were made by Kelvin & Petter. At one time Britain was a prolific producer of these "Donkeys" many used for stationary generating sets and pumping duties. They would run for months without attention as long as they got any combustible type of fuel, any. (Except gasoline of course - it would have to be 'heavy')

They are much sought after and the engine of choice for enthusiasts, however, for practical and economy reasons, my sister has a modern compact diesel engine. True to form, she doesn't know what make it is (or cares for that matter).

Really, women!

Mark she took delivery of said craft 1 year ago exactly and it is a lifelong dream of hers. She is 71 years old and was beginning to think it was never going to happen, but here she is. Just proves you should never ever give up..

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Keith
Is she permanently on board or does she also have a "shore" home?

If permanent, does she have to pay rates and taxes?

What about electric hook up etc?

I recon I could walk to work from a tax free haven!

Ian

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
What a great story.. I'm very happy for her to be able to realize her dreams!

The RN engine is marvelous and sounds like it idles at around 100 RPM or so...

Good stuff!!!!

:thumbsup:

Keith

Keith
Is she permanently on board or does she also have a "shore" home?

If permanent, does she have to pay rates and taxes?

What about electric hook up etc?

I recon I could walk to work from a tax free haven!

Ian

Veronica has a 'permanent' residential mooring through choice. If you don't you will pretty much have to keep moving because many marinas etc will not accept 'live-aboards', as it affects their planning status.

Some marinas turn a blind eye, but the downside is, if it is your permanent home with no other property, then you can kiss goodbye to your credit rating, electoral roll, credit, state benefits, medical help and so on as you need some kind of 'fixed' address for all that stuff.

Veronica lives aboard 52 weeks a year, pays Council Tax and is on the electoral register just as if she lived on terra firma and has no other property, so it makes sense for her to have a residential berth. They are hard to find though and not cheap. She pays around £5,000 per year for hers but that does include electrical connections and wi-fi, laundry etc.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Very cool. I was a live-aboard here in MD for years until I bought my current house. I certainly had a lot less crap around in those days....of course, I was cold in the winter, too, but a fiberglass convertible is not nearly as good a boat for living on as the one your sister has. I think I recall seeing similar boats on the French canals, but hers seems quite a bit nicer.

Back