custom subrame build for SC2

OK, I know this is WAY off topic for a GT40 forum, but honestly... I see more quality fabrication here than anywear else I frequent. So here goes....

When I am not working on my Ford/Mustang projects, I rebuild/rehab S-series Saturns. Mostely for my 3 (driving) kids and an airport commuter for me.

Since moving up the the Chicago area, i have noticed a significant issue with these little cars. The front sub-frames tend to rust out and cause issues with the motor, tranny and LCA mounts.

You can drive down to Florida and drive back a used subframe, but thats a big hassle and I see many project cars up here in the rust belt that could be saved with a decent replacement option.

So a project I have been wanting to try out is to build a tubular replacement subframe that could be used as a stock replacement.

I know some might consider this a waste of time/effort, but my son is about to take a welding class and I have been wanting to get into welding/fabrication too. So, this would be a relatively easy project (I think) to start with. And: BTW, I currrently have two SC2 cars that would benifit from this project. Who knows how many I might need down the road.

Who knows when I will get to start working on building what i really want, which is a full build like the Apex or a 40(eventually).

I plan to start by building a wood jig to get all the stock mounting points locked in. From there I would work to duplicate the factory design, trying to improve the strength and reduce weight wherever possible.

I see no reason to change any of the mounting points, although raising the steering rack by .5-.75" might not be a bad idea. 1.4" lowering springs are pretty common for these cars. Espectiall the SC2 (coupe) version. So... I would probably keep mounting dimensions the same for now.

It seems like mild steele is a typical material I see used for this. Any thoughts??

Attachments

• saturn subframe1.bmp
    147.8 KB · Views: 223
What you need is a large can of Iron Moth Killer. Those pesky critters ate my truck I drove to North Carolina in clear up to the door handles. It was a friendly truck it waved it's body panels at every one that passed by. :laugh:

All joking aside any you can do it a wood fixture would work ,steel would be better.

Last edited:
Thanks for your thoughts, Dave! I know a steel patern or jig would be better, but I think wood will work and will make getting this started a bit easier.

Based on the builds I follow here, I think quite a few folks could pull this off with eyes closed and one hand behind their back.

I have a lot of experience with car builds. Mostely vintage mustangs. But virtually no fabrication, so I am realy eager to start building something useful once we get a welder up and running.

Please take a look at the attached subframe and let me know how you would approach this. Keep in mind this is for a small 4cyl FWD car that weighs >2,500#.

I hope I didn't offend anyone by posting up pics of a lowely Saturn frame? ;) Just think of this as my pre build practice. :)

No pictures came through, unfortunately.

Also, why are you raising the steering rack, and what are you doing to correct the resultant geometry changes?

The pic was attached to the first post. Are you not able to open it?

I do not plan to change the geometry. At least for now. I was only theorizing that raising the rack would compensate for H&R 1.4" lowering springs that are common. I have heard some accounts of minor bump-steer issues, but its not a huge deal. My assumption was that raising the rack would partially correct the tie rod angle and remove any bump-steer associated with the lowering springs. **this is not a primary goal here. Just a thought that might be worth doing.

No pictures came through, unfortunately.

Also, why are you raising the steering rack, and what are you doing to correct the resultant geometry changes?

My apologies, thought there was supposed to be a second picture.

As far as the rack goes- a change in spring height does not mean a corresponding change in rack height. A proper rack position should present good bump steer qualities throughout the range of motion, regardless of what ride height the springs put the car at.

As far as the rack goes- a change in spring height does not mean a corresponding change in rack height. A proper rack position should present good bump steer qualities throughout the range of motion, regardless of what ride height the springs put the car at.

Ok, I will deffinately plan to leave all the dimensions in the stock position. I have just heard so many comments over on the mustang and SVT forums re lowered cars having issues with bump-steer, I thought it might be a good idea to correct for that on the rack mounts. No big deal... That was a secondary objective, at best...

Back