New and Old Brough race bikes

Brian Magee

Supporter
So Nick, where do you fit into the family picture? I asume that the car in your avatar is one of the few Brough Superior cars that they made. My father once owned the bike that sold at auction a few years ago for £286000. It had a sidecar at the time and was the family transport so I have an interest in Broughs.

Brian.

Hi Brian,

According to the Brough family organisation of the USA who contacted me a couple of years ago I am George Brough's sixth cousin 4 times removed.

The Car in my avatar is a 1935 8 cylinder Brough Superior Drophead Coupe and i am lucky enough to be the owner.

Is the bike you you are talking about one of the Austin 7 engined ones, or an SS100. Always wanted a bike, one of my biggest regrets in life was when I was given details of a very nice SS80 14 years ago that was for sale at around £13,000 and I could not pursue it as I didn't have the money.

Mind you I was talking to someone at the new Brough bike launch a few months ago who bought his up and running SS100 in the mid 80's for £3000, and I know someone who got his car in the 70's admittedly needing restoration for cutting the grass. How times change.

The side cars were interesting in that the chassis tubes on them formed an auxiliary petrol tank. You maybe interested in this book if you don't already know about it, The picture of the bike and sidecar on the cover, shows the petrol tank tube going up and over the front of the sidecar, my car is the blue one also on the cover.

[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brough-Superior-The-Complete-Story/dp/1847971121[/ame]

Last edited:

Brian Magee

Supporter
Hi Nick,
The Brough my father owned was an 1929 SS100 sold at auction as a Grand Alpine. He bought it as a solo and had the sidecar made to his own design to accomodate four children (two rows of double seats). It was a bit cramped in there but we were all very young then. My father was from Belfast and we spent a few holidays there travelling from London.

Before and after shots. The only things that don't seem to have changed are the number plates.

Brian.

Attachments

• UY4993.jpg
    UY4993.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 227
  • UY4993 03.jpg
    UY4993 03.jpg
    460.2 KB · Views: 235
Hi Nick,
The Brough my father owned was an 1929 SS100 sold at auction as a Grand Alpine. He bought it as a solo and had the sidecar made to his own design to accomodate four children (two rows of double seats). It was a bit cramped in there but we were all very young then. My father was from Belfast and we spent a few holidays there travelling from London.

Before and after shots. The only things that don't seem to have changed are the number plates.

Brian.

Hi Brian

Superb, you father was obviously a man of impeccable taste.

Back