Why are GT40's so expensive?

Why are GT40 replicas so expensive? Obviously, it's a matter of supply and demand, and they're not inexpensive cars to build. Any good used GT40 replica is $50,000 or more, with low-mileage cars with all the goodies (ZF) more like $80K or more.

I just bought a Lotus Esprit for $12K. It's a helluva nice car. It's not quite as fast in a straight line as a good GT40 replica, but she goes around the twisties really well. It has a nice leather interior, proper bumpers and electric windows, luggage space, sophisticated little engine, sunroof, etc. It's a lot of car for the money. It feels somewhat in between a kit car and a regular production car in terms of fit and finish, but overall very nice. Looks OK too I think.

I can't imagine the Lotus is more demanding to produce than a good GT40 in terms of man hours to design and build....yet it costs 1/5 the price to buy. I know a GT40 has a lot more macho Hollywood factor, and is the better looking car....but really, 5 times the relative value? Interesting.

Attachments

• Lotus1.JPG
    Lotus1.JPG
    170.3 KB · Views: 364
  • Lotus8.JPG
    Lotus8.JPG
    177.5 KB · Views: 343
  • Lotus13.JPG
    Lotus13.JPG
    129.9 KB · Views: 327
  • Lotus14.JPG
    Lotus14.JPG
    155.6 KB · Views: 370
  • Lotus19.JPG
    Lotus19.JPG
    141.6 KB · Views: 361

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
I think the question is why are Lotus' so cheap! It looks like you got a great deal, but comparing that to a GT40 is paramount to sacrilige, you could have bought a Valkerie for that price :lol:

What about if you were to comapre to one of the more desirable S4 V8 Twin Turbo Esprit's, I think you'd find good examples in the $40K range. Or better still new for new, what's the price on a Lotus Evora mid 80's?

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Why are GT40's so expensive?

Because they are worth it!

Honestly if you think the chassis on a Lotus Esprit (BTW, a car I like) costs as much as a GT40 tub, I need to sell you some real estate!

Attachments

• tub12.jpg
    tub12.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 406
  • tub1.jpg
    tub1.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 426
  • tub7.jpg
    tub7.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 778
  • tub11.jpg
    tub11.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 889
  • tub4.jpg
    tub4.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 728
  • tub5.jpg
    tub5.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 346
One car (lotus) was designed/built to a price, it has exceptional handling is relatively slow and does not hold up to any serious track work, well not unless you spend serious $$ on upgrades. Its reasonably comfortable ont he street and useable

The other was designed regardless of cost or build ability, to be exceptionaly robust and withstand years of racing reliably. Its not so comfortable or happy on the street but will do it.

Why does a F16 cost so much more than a Pits stuntplane.

i think the biggest difference between is, lotus was factory-made, so each step was priced and regulated, order parts for 1000 cars is much less money as you order one part, buildtime is i think 2 days for a production car,.....
gt-40 is a craftsman build, companys makes 20-50 kits each year, only made one after one, customer invest a minimum from 500 hours to fix it and have it on street,....
if you calculate all this you will find,.....gt-40 replicas ar real cheap, or the lotus is way much overpriced,.....
and dont forget, the time lotus build this car was the badest time from lotus, near to close the doors

As mentioned a production car parts are purchased in the thousands at a time. While a custom car (which a GT40 is just that) the parts are bought one at a time. I read once that if you took the parts list for any given car. Then bought the parts one at a time. That car would cost 4 times or more what you could buy it as a whole unit. But then you're talking about a car that is several years old too. The price of that is driven by the market & desirabillity not a new car factory price. Try to buy a factory new comperable car (to the GT40) Ford GT, Ferarri, Lamborgine? You're looking at well over $100,000. Even new Lotus cars are over $60,000 a 211 is over $100,000.

It would be easy to half the price of a gt40 replica if you were to get production numbers up and not offer any deviations on the build spec. I very much doubt if there is a gt40 out there that has the same spec as another, this is because most are custom built by or for the owner. None of which would be available to a lotus buyer. Custom building anything will run massively over budget.

Bob

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I had one Cliff, it was a blast but getting across the sill was a chore to get into the seat, once it place it was fun and handled like a go cart. Had a cute little chirping noise when it was idling sort of like a bird. :)

Cliff, Looks like a S4 Espirit? Lotuses have always been cheap, but you'll enjoy it. I have as much fun with my 1967 Europa Zetec as my GT40.

Its simple, the cost is relative the cost of an original. If you could buy originals for $100,000 there would be no market for a replica, But at $2,000,000 + if you don't have the $$$s , $100,000 for a car that looks the same and in a lot of cases now days proably out performs the real thing, is a good option. As for the Lotus my best mate has had 2 of them 1st was a Turbo 4 banger like yours Cliff NZ$ 45k and then a Twin Turbo V8 which he took to Australia and sold it a couple of years later for around Aus$ 80k both cars were spotless. In fact you Aussie guys will have seen the V8 as it is the advert picture for Shannons Insurance. Cheers Leon

Ron Earp

Admin
I just bought a Lotus Esprit for $12K. It's a helluva nice car. It's not quite as fast in a straight line as a good GT40 replica, but she goes around the twisties really well.

I can't imagine the Lotus is more demanding to produce than a good GT40 in terms of man hours to design and build....yet it costs 1/5 the price to buy.

You bought a used Lotus Esprit for $12k. Sort of harsh to compare an old car to a new one with respect to absolute pricing.

I used to have a 91 SE and paid around $20k for it, when it was 14 years old or so. But when it was new, it was a $80,000 car in 1991. Serious coin.

I liked the Lotus fine, but it was in essence a self-assembled car, kit car, whatever you'd like to call it, just like a GT40. Jeff Young had a Lotus at the same time I did and it was hilarious to compare how they were both built - not the same, just like any two GT40 replicas. One day Nigel would use button head screw, another day pan head screws, and maybe on the third day some old bolts he had lying around his work station. Toyota Celica brakes and taillights, Renault transmission, GM ECU, Delphia sensors, etc. Loti of that era are componet cars.

Cool cars and a lot of fun. Would have hated to pay $80k for one new though.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Rick, where are the photos of the GT40 tub assembly from? they are very nice. That isn't an SPF tub, is it? Enlighten me if you would, thanks.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Rick, where are the photos of the GT40 tub assembly from? they are very nice. That isn't an SPF tub, is it? Enlighten me if you would, thanks.

Photos from Hi Tech Automotive, Lockington Farm,St. Albans, Port Elizabeth, South Africa where all Superformance GT40s are born. Taken during the Superformance (SCOF) tour of SA a couple years back.

Yes, it IS an SPF tub (RHD) under build.

Would the group here like more factory photos? Here is a link to a factory tour filmed pre-GT40 production start: http://www.timemachinesauto.com/Factory_Tour.html

Last edited:
Back