Theother hobby

Many of you know that I do a spot of cycling here and there and to cheer myself up, as work has been rather pants of late I decided to build myself a training bike.

Well, as per things with many of us on this forum, things started to get out of hand... just buying some old bits has morphed into a project I have termed: High End Hack

Its now a carbon framed, new Shimano 105 and I will be building my own wheels up with the help of a friend. As per motorsport... I've started weighing everything....

Bars, bar tape and tyres

Untitled by Brett-GT40, on Flickr

Front and Rear Derailleur and Casette

Cranks and Bottom Bracket

http://www.flickr.com/photos/brett-gt40/12370717524/

Brakes and Shifters

Brett,
Are you road racing or criteriums?? I raced juniors many years ago and then senior 1s and 2s. Bike looks too nice to be a trainer!! ;o) (you will save yourself a LOT of cash and build stronger legs/lungs if you just throw 25lbs in a fannypack!!) ;o) Nice toy, S

Actually neither. Mainly because I don't want to get hurt in the bunch sprint LOL I would say with the level of training I do, I am a solid Cat 4 at best. You'd like the other ride, I have a Cannondale Synapse with The 6600 Ultegra SL on it and Si cranks.

I seriously have put this together for not much money at all. I'd probably pay more than double if I went to a shop to buy it.

I do TT though, every Tuesday night over the spring summer period ranging from 10s, Sporting 11/13/21, 25s and a hill climb or two

Being a Cat 1/2, you'll appreciate this :thumbsup:

Brett,
IF you stay far enuff out ahead you won't get run over!!! ;o) (back when I was racing we still shifted on the down tube, and "cramp-and-go-slow" were tops in the gruppos) ;o) If I recall correctly at the end, aluminum frames were just starting to come on the scene....... I trialed one of the new treks for my sponsor, but it still had too much flex in it when I jumped on it hard in the sprints.

Anyway, have fun and thanks for posting!! Brings back good memories, S

oh my haven't things come a long way, I raced track while at high school and early teens, frame was a Legnano with a Falck tube frame and Campag hub cranks etc, cant remember the weight, but I can remember parents forking out 180 pounds NZ for it in 1964.

john

I certainly do, the Aburton frame was Reynolds tube and was twice the price of my Legnano, only problem was if you crashed them they were scrap.

john

Hmm,

lightweight, carbon fibre, aluminium ...............

You want state of the art equipment that you can go through UK flood water with !!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• Picture Snetterton  John styles images     penny farthing.jpg
    Picture Snetterton John styles images penny farthing.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 180
Back