West89s

Hi
I recently purchased a West 89s. I am planning on doing a few events in the car then a full restore. The car was built by West racing in 1989.
It runs a bridgeport 12a rotary and Hewland transaxle dog box.

i have never driven a car with a dog box so am a bit worried about gear shifts. just fitted a new seat. I need a new steering rack soon as it has a bit of free play.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 351
Last edited:
Don't worry about dog boxes. For upshifts a slight lift on the throttle and the next gear slides right in. Downshifts take about 30 seconds to get used to, match the engine speed to the gear and it slips right in too.

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
Is it an older H Pattern or a sequential?

Either way a short light stab of the clutch on downshifting will help the longevity of the gears, especially during the learning curve.

There's a good article here by William Hewland;

Hewland Engineering Ltd | Advice

I run a Formula Atlantic with a Hewland and the hardest part to get used to at first was the minimal movement (short throw) in gate on the H pattern between gears and shift points to keep the revs in the power band.

Have fun, it looks a blast!

Julian

Dave believe it or not the worst thing you can do to a dog box is be gentle with it, as that rounds the corners of the engagement dogs rapidly, changing up just put slight pressure on the gear lever and jump the throttle on off as quick as you can , and it will jump into the next gear, the trick is to get your upshifts so your helmet dosnt move.
if your helmet falls forward your to slow, if it goes back your to quick, sounds dumb but its true. down shifting is just toe and heel and match revs, after you get used to it you wont need the clutch on downshifts either. have fun you lucky bugger.

cheers John

Hi Troy
yes it's a 200 i think. i have not driven the car as it turns out to be in a fairly poor condition. i have fitted a new steering rack and am waiting for a few other bits. Needed a new seat and harness. lots of worn rodends and so on. hopefully in the next few months i can drive it.

Interesting. Mine too, needs a little TLC before hitting the track. I'm back in WA with my Ralt for a while, it would be great to see the West (and the RF as well, of course!)

Would be fun to hit the long track at Bag-a-Lego for a few laps once both cars are up to speed.

Back