Porsche 906 (looooong) project

Hi guys!

About 4 yrs ago, I had the opportunity to buy a set of 906 chassis blueprints.
To make a long story short, since then, I deceided that I'd like to build one.

There are a lot of huge problems to overcome:
The first in the list is the lack of money. Children and house are more consuming than expected :laugh:

The second one is that despite several trys, I must be honnest with myself: I wouldn't trust a chassis I would build myself... Unless practicing a lot, and for a long time. But it is not to happen

The third problem is that as everything is almost specific to these cars, all the parts are very expensives (at least in my world) and VERY hard to come by

Last problem is that I'd like my dream car to be at least 99% accurate, excepted for the engine and gearbox which were specific and really out of range

So far no huge progress to show. i've been collecting data, and researching for a long time.

One way to make things happen is to produce "by myself" most of the stuff. But in order to make things affordable, produce in small batches and resell some.

This is what I did with some parts (windshields, specific ball joints)

I will try to share with you my latest endeavour.

So here we go. I have the opportunity to borrow some original parts. So I had some 3D scanned.

First picture is a raw 3D scam of the front upright

Pictures 2 and 3 show the scan reworked in CAD

Then a pattern is made in rapid prototyping thanks to the 3d files last picture

In another post, I'll show more if there is some interest!

Olivier

Attachments

• 3dav.jpg
    3dav.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 257
  • PM_AV3.jpg
    PM_AV3.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 224
  • PM_AV2.jpg
    PM_AV2.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 233
  • PMAV3.jpg
    PMAV3.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 227
  • PMAV4.jpg
    PMAV4.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 255
Last edited:
Hello
Nice project , nice work !!
if needed avaible one last pair left of 906 air ducts and driver seat
( all set of parts can be yours at reasonable price "not historic " !!)

Attachments

• IMG_0151 - Copie.JPG
    IMG_0151 - Copie.JPG
    248.2 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_0152 - Copie.JPG
    IMG_0152 - Copie.JPG
    197.4 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_0185 - Copie.JPG
    IMG_0185 - Copie.JPG
    210.6 KB · Views: 244
Hello Michel!

Glad to have a message from you. Actually tried to contact you a couple of times but get no answers... I was thinking that I xasn't worth interest :cry:

Would you PM me some details about those parts?

Thanks a lot!!!!

Yesterday, I picked up the last patterns of parts to be cast in steel.

The bracket is for holding the rear calipers.

The wizzard's stick is actually the steering arm, which is to be fitted into the front upright.

Still a lot of work to be done before actual casting, but we're getting closer!

Attachments

• bras_equerre1.jpg
    bras_equerre1.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 250
  • bras_equerre2.jpg
    bras_equerre2.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 262
PM sent about fiberglass parts

Concerning those parts you are enginneering: are you aware that they where not"Casted "!!!

Fronts uprights and steering lever where and "are to be forged ; as you know probably it's completly different process as casted will give a non safety constitution of metal ( being very brittle ,specially for the lever )
Just my 2 cts

Michel,
You're right, at least half right.

Right: those parts were originally forged steel. I havent performed analysis on the original parts, but I am confident enough that they used a "mild steel" type.

Half right: Yes, castings can be brittle. Castings can also be improved. To counter the fact that castings will be less "safe", my parts will be made out of high grade steel.
This is not a good option, as high grade steel are more brittle.

BUT, they will undergo a special heat treatment, which is a bit new (at least for me) which is called Hot Isostatic Pressing. This treatment has 2 effects:

- First it acts "like" the forging process, and closes virtually all the micoporosities into the metal (elongation and fatigue resistance are really improved!)
- second it lowers mechanical properties of the steel as grain grows, making it less brittle

So the 2 combined make me confident in the end result.

Last thing, a guy in the US produced a bunch of these parts in cast steel in the 80's with a similare material, and he never heard of any failure. This is a good feedback!

Olivier

Back