2.7T Scratch Build Non-GT40

Hi (again)
Hope this is okay, but my build is more akin to your GT40 builds than most other forums, so hopefully I can learn more here, and maybe it'll be of interest to others too!
It's a Group-B Quattro inspired VW Caddy pickup.
The shall has been completely stripped and gutted, the only steel will be the cab part. composite front end and rear, tube chassis that i'm designing and will fabricate, 2.7tt V6 and just got an 01E and driveshafts for £250 :)

I made about half of the chassis, but after issues fitting the previous engine, I went back to the drawing board, and revised it pretty thoroughly over the last few months.
I now have suspension geometry i'm happy with, the chassis is pretty close, just struggling with upright design and packaging and a few other parts. Dying to start re-making it though, but i want as much as possible on CAD first so that i'm actually happy with it this time.
It's be a huge amount of work to be designing a car from scratch, but i have also learned a whole lot so far on designing and fabricating.
Not really looking forward to the bodywork and composites work though!
But thats a few years off yet!

Anyway enough rambling, the best i have so far is model pictures really
Chassis5_42Assy800.png

Chassis5Assy800.png

Jackal

CURRENTLY BANNED
Very nice project. Just saw on ebay a gti with 2.7 T audi engine mid mounted with 01e box. 1000bhp.......

My project "Vigilante vengeance" will be getting a 4.2 bi turbo Audi RS6 engine mid mounted with 6 speed 01e. Unfortunately the first seller on ebay never produced the engine and after opening cases etc eventually I did get a refund (minus bank costs....) So I tried again and bought another RS6.... guess what. It seems I am going down the same road..... All I can say. Do not deal with Pakistani sellers located in England... 2 deals to bugger ups. Do not buy anything from Adil Safar on ebay... scam artist par excellance.

Anyway my thread is also in this section if you want to peek. I actually had a rs4 engine but sold it again as I was told it will very difficult to make it work. Rs6 is way easier because aftermarket ecu can be used which won't be looking for sensors. Same as you 2.7T.

When I do eventually get my rs6 I will be looking at a modest 520bhp which really is just mapping.

You will see I went the other way round. I started with the body and the chassis although commissioned, has not been done.

Good luck with your build. I will be keeping a close eye. :)

Are you ex South African (Henk)

Thanks, that sounds like the 034 motorsport golf, don't think i've ever seen it used in anger though; it's just for showing off.

I remember reading through your tread already, could've sworn i posted on it. Finding it really hard to find other people using any of these engines in other cars. having started taking part off it I can see why, it's ridiculous! I'm going to have to try and remove as much of the probably unnecessary stuff before it goes in the car.
What is the RS6 engine then? I know of the RS4 which was 420hp I think. My aim will be 2:1 weight to power, 800kg, 400whp or thereabouts! hopefully won't see as much geartrain losses being only 2wd.

As for how the car is being built, It's being designed around the VW Caddy shell, which is a real pain in the arse more than anything! No space half the time, tall roof and horrible aerodynamics compared to proper fast cars (even though it will be sat ~4" lower on the chassis than standard) any lower and the wheel wells will be higher than the bonnet line!

However, the caddy was my second car, it was a 1.6d, slow as hell, but I want to at least keep with the body design i started with (if that makes sense)
That said, it won't look much like the original caddy at all!

31072011468.jpg

plus inspiration
S_03.jpg

CaddyBodywithHardtop.png

Chassis5_8.png

Te bodywork modelling is pretty ghetto as i don't know how to do surface modelling, so it's all straight-line cuts and extrudes.

A lot of the inspiration of the body/arches comes from the Quattro track/rally cars, especially the KRB one! it suits the 'era' of the VW body more than curvy aerodynamic arches. So the bodywork is rather an obstacle. did consider just ditching it and making a nice low car and making something properly aerodynamic, but of well. next time perhaps.

considering it started as taking the car off the road for paint and new engine, then changed suspension, wanted to rip out the leaf springs. rotting on the insides, decided to fab a new floor which became making a spaceframe car with the panels bolted on basically!

chassis build (number 2 :( ) will start soon, still not finalised as much of te suspension geometry as i'd like, not decided where to put the rear shocks yet! Better than the first attempt though.

Oh and I'm half Dutch, hence the name :)

Last edited:
Back