Project under wraps -- W125

This is my new project which I started very enthusiastically and worked on until winter came when it was "put-away".

The following summer it was just boats, boating and skiing and basically forgot about the project . Now I would like to slowly get back into it.

Right now it is a rolling chassis -- just. Meaning I can push it from here to there. Mechanically it is rather , shall I say straight forward perhaps crude. The BIG emphasis will be on the ALI bodywork and to try and get a super distinctive sound.

Up dates will be slow and far in between.

Z.C.

Attachments

• puw w125 1.JPG
    puw w125 1.JPG
    216 KB · Views: 498
  • puw w125 4.JPG
    puw w125 4.JPG
    157.3 KB · Views: 389
Are you going to take the cover off or is this a guess this shape kinda thing. My guess is Tube Frame, Motor cycle powered, track day toy. Cheers Leon, changed my mind, I had another look and I see a box or chanel section chassis, tall narrow tyre's, so i,m thinking old school Hot Rod or 4x4, Cheers Leon

Are you going to take the cover off or is this a guess this shape kinda thing. My guess is Tube Frame, Motor cycle powered, track day toy. Cheers Leon, changed my mind, I had another look and I see a box or chanel section chassis, tall narrow tyre's, so i,m thinking old school Hot Rod or 4x4, Cheers Leon

W125 title might be a hint...
(As might the alloy body and distinctive sound.)
I really hope it is. A truly amazing car - modern f1 speed, not surpassed in power by f1 cars until the turbo era, very light, and all in the 1930s. Extraordinary.

Tim.

Last edited:

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Z.C.:

Do you write "teasers" for T.V. news programs by any chance?!

If not, you've missed your calling.

Well if his "W125" ref. is to the Mercedes W125. That would be an interesting car. Making it a 2 seater would make it more practicle but still very nice.

But I vote for the "streamliner" version, again in a 2 seater.

Wow, I did not expect such a response.!

Yep, spot on, that is my dream, the vehicle in the top drawing. To fabricate the bodywork will be difficult , for someone like me. Wish I had the skills of Jim C. From the outset I knew to try and create an exact or even near replica will be $$$$$ wise beyond me. Therefore the effort is on looks and sound. Engine wise a straight 8 was original but I am using a standard SBC wish will have a unique bundle of snakes.

Years ago reading articles in auto magazines that was penned by Doug Nye I noticed he always concluded with D.C.N.. I thought that if I were ever to write in public that would be cool. I don't think anybody ever addressed him by his initials.

This project can only advance as quick as the new $$$$$ arrives, therefore the updates will be slow.

Thank you for all the interest so far.

Z.C.

For the sake of time & lack of skills & money for the specialized tools etc. Why not do it out of fiberglass & paint it? Unless you're trying for a 100% concourse recreation. The alum. bending & welding will take some prety specialized skills given the compound curves etc. A very ambitious undertaking if you've never done something like that before. Good luck

I would say you do posess the skills, you did a pretty stand up job on your alloy boat.
Look forward to the progress and 180 systems definitely change the exhaust note (for the better) I'm even thinking of doing it on my car just for the sound. I had an 8 into 4 into 1 system on my 383 SBC and it sounded glorious. Cheers Leon

Zollis:
I am with Leon on your skills. Look at Axel's build he seems to have come a long way in a short time. Start with the simple parts first that will give you more practice for the more difficult bits. Cheers

Cliff , I agree with you 100%, that would be a good idea. I had a look at the Bugatti project and have to say that chassis work is Top-Notch. John my frame is rather primitive. Mike that itchy stuff is not for me, I will rather sweat it out with ali. I have worked with it (ali) a little bit in the past that's how I know a huge task is waiting for me.

Thank you for the encouraging words Leon and Dave P.

Z.C.

I took Cliffs advise and took the covers off. The one pic shows where I am now and the second one shows where I am aiming at.

Z.C.

Attachments

• Puw w125 3.JPG
    Puw w125 3.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 404
  • Puw aim 2.JPG
    Puw aim 2.JPG
    396.4 KB · Views: 311
Its a good start Zollis.

Did a little googleing 595bhp and 750kg in 1937 impressive even today.
That would have been interesting on those tyres.

Jim

The chassis were prety "primative/basic" back then. Do you have any acess to pics of the original? Probably not a whole lot diferent. what's the front susp. & cross member from? My guess would be a solid "I" beam axle on the original?

Back