cnc help

I am looking at making up a cnc plasma cutter, I already have the plasma cutter . I have found a ready made frame and would like to know the best way forward with software and controllers. I dont want anything overly complicated because I am none to bright with a computer . Any fever cluckers on here that know about lectronics please advise .

The table I found.
DIY RAIL CARS AND Z AXIS FOR NEMA 23 STEPPER MOTORS FOR CNC AND PLASMA CUTTER | eBay

Motors.
2Axis 3D CNC Nema 23 Brushless DC Motor 3000RPM, 24VDC,188W,3phs & driver 80VDC | eBay

Control system and program ???

Bob

I have tried the cnc zone and no one seems that bothered about helping, they all seem to be wrapped up in their own projects:thumbsdown: I purchased a copy of the cnc cookbook which gives a few pointers , I suppose its a start .

Well my bits have turned up , now need to ascertain which motors are needed and order some 50x50 box section to build the rails.
icon_e_smile.gif
The carriage fits the plasma cutter head which is a start
icon_e_biggrin.gif

[[URL=http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/mypickys/media/workshop%20equipment/cnc%20plasma/imagejpg1_zps20084a23.jpg.html]/URL]

Robert:

If you take a look on ebay there are. 2 and three axis cards with stepper driver which should run a plasma cutter no problem:
I have retro fitted a cnc system to a Bridgeport years ago if you need some direction feel free to ping me

Hello Robert,

You might try this cnczone.com. They are all about CNC anything and how to build them. Also Newfangled Solutions » CNC Software Home of Mach3 is a popular controller software used by home builders. I use it on my CNC mill.

Hope this helps,

Pete

Thanks for the heads up Pete I downloaded the trial version of mac3 and it seems user friendly thanks to all the youtube tutorials :thumbsup:

Robert:

If you take a look on ebay there are. 2 and three axis cards with stepper driver which should run a plasma cutter no problem:
I have retro fitted a cnc system to a Bridgeport years ago if you need some direction feel free to ping me

I have been looking at these for a while Dave and although they state what you are getting they give no indication as to suitability, A few fruitless emails later I stumbled across a UK seller that gave me his telephone number. That five minute call was worth a thousand emails, the guy explained what was needed and why so at last I have been given some direction as to motor choice ( holding torque and drive force ), breakout boards and power source . Hopefully I will have all I need by next week to make a start on assembly , as far as operating programs go it looks like sheetcam + mac3 is the way to go. No doubt you will be getting an email Dave :)

Bob

Back