B17 Aluminium Overcast - Well Worth a Look

Saw this 17 in 2001 at the EAA Fly In. Had the privilege of working on Seattle Museum of Flight's B-17F model. Boeing workers and volunteers restored this aircraft back in the 1990's. Built in Seattle in 1943, we had the luxury of access to all of the factory drawings to restore this beauty.

Several articles were published in the Seattle papers during the restoration. It was amazing how many original parts showed up at the Renton plant from anonymous sources during the resto. I remember seeing a box of bullet resistant glass for the cockpit showing up one day. Amazing how many people had B-17 treasures in their basements.

A great airplane built by the greatest generation for a singular purpose. I am still amazed that in 1944, the Seattle plant was producing 16 bombers a day.

Mike Trusty

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
I have had the privilege of flying in this exact B-17. Got to help sweep the snow off the wings and rotate the props through prior to starting the engines. Then got to set in every position except the tail gunners and pilots during flight. One of my bucket list items checked off. Now if only I could get a ride in an F-22.

Back